producers/writers block

Yukon

Yukon
So yeah..
Ive been out of producing for about ~2-3 weeks now, two of those weeks are because of exams and the following week is just a solid writers block. Pretty annoyed because I was so excited to just bum and around and produce for a good 3 weeks on semester break but a week has already past with nothing :(
I've tried a few things to get around it like not even touching my daw for a couple of days, listening to 'inspirational producers', listening to a range of genres especially ones I don't often listen to aannnd starting off tracks in different ways like drums or chords or melody etc first.

Any tips from im/personal experiences? As I'm sure most, if not all of you have gone through this.

Yeah, we all pass, or already passed through this. I use to take inspiration on a music by Dream Theater, called "Whiter", which is on their "Black Clouds and Silver Linings" album. In this song, their guitarist John Petrucci talks about his writer's block. BUT, I don't take inspiration in the lyrics. I take the inspiration from the fact that he wrote the song about writer's block, while he was suffering writer's block. to me, that is just amazing.

Usually i get new ideas from sampling, i'll pull up a random song from my library, chop it, and see if it can be re-arranged in an interesting way

best thing you can do is spend your time focussing on making drum loops, fat snares, bass patches, varuous sounds, not worrying about making them into a tune

something will eventually inspire you

So yeah..
Ive been out of producing for about ~2-3 weeks now, two of those weeks are because of exams and the following week is just a solid writers block. Pretty annoyed because I was so excited to just bum and around and produce for a good 3 weeks on semester break but a week has already past with nothing :(
I've tried a few things to get around it like not even touching my daw for a couple of days, listening to 'inspirational producers', listening to a range of genres especially ones I don't often listen to aannnd starting off tracks in different ways like drums or chords or melody etc first.

Any tips from im/personal experiences? As I'm sure most, if not all of you have gone through this.

Seriously?

You really made this topic?

Here's what you do when you have writers block and can't write a single fucking note. You sit down, and START FUCKING WRITING YOU GOD DAMN PUSSY! Jesus, just shut the fuck up and do it! Why are you even producing if there are times you don't wanna do it? That's all it is, you just don't want to do it. Well guess what, while you're sitting on your fucking keyboard connected to the computer that has your DAW, the very software you could be using to create right now, choosing instead to whine about your pussy little vagina cramp farts, somebody else is putting in the work and that makes them, at this very moment, better than you.

They are better than you.

Because you don't wanna work, bitch. And if you actually kept reading this post all the way to this ending right here, instead of halfway through disconnecting from the internet until your next EP is finished; seriously, quit. Just quit, you just aren't made of the shit leaders are made of and should get yourself a comfy 9-5 job, because that's what you're built for.

Beware, it can last months, years or even decades.
Nothing you can do about it. Go for a pint with friends... :beers:

go skate, smoke a bowl. listen to anything but the style of music you want to make. you can't force inspiration, but you can put yourself in a good spot to be inspired.

Go out for some fresh air and inspiration will come. Even more, if you can go near the sea/river/lake/pond it would hit you much faster and much more 'potent'.

Seriously?

Here's what you do when you have writers block and can't write a single fucking note. You sit down, and START FUCKING WRITING YOU GOD DAMN PUSSY! Jesus, just shut the fuck up and do it! Why are you even producing if there are times you don't wanna do it? That's all it is, you just don't want to do it. Well guess what, while you're sitting on your fucking keyboard connected to the computer that has your DAW, the very software you could be using to create right now, choosing instead to whine about your pussy little vagina cramp farts, somebody else is putting in the work and that makes them, at this very moment, better than you.

Because you don't wanna work, bitch. And if you actually kept reading this post all the way to this ending right here, instead of halfway through disconnecting from the internet until your next EP is finished; seriously, quit. Just quit, you just aren't made of the shit leaders are made of and should get yourself a comfy 9-5 job, because that's what you're built for.

Your words have reached my heart kind sir, so what 9-5 job you got lined up for me?

Seriously?

slightly mean... ive suffered block before and trust me NOTHING comes out, but your kinda right cos u dnt just saying nothing is coming out, u gotta work at making it, you know like the saying "you make your own luck"... make it!

i almost always find le inspiration from a slight drum loop ive started working on, or a bass patch and from there u can do, or if you/ you are those people, smoke something and see what comes...

also 2-3 weeks dude seriously?! you should be spending you entire time watch tutorials read books on the science of music, when your not making music you sound be looking at how and why and everything else, if your serious about this "passion" of yours

Too much noise, too much input, too much data.....that's fine for inspiration, but creativity comes from silence, when your mind has to create something to fill the void. No silence these days, too much fuckin noise.

Too much noise, too much input, too much data.....that's fine for inspiration, but creativity comes from silence, when your mind has to create something to fill the void. No silence these days, too much fuckin noise.

BANG ON. Totally true.

Go meditate. Try some yoga. Don't masturbate.

At the end of it, just spend hours in the studio. Sometimes you need to work through the writers block. Just sit down and try and write something. Like someone said above, make patches, make loops, read tutorials. Then make riffs and chord progressions. Even if you don't finish them right now you may turn them into great songs later down the line. think about how you want the song to sound. Recreate a song that you like.

Or just give up because you don't really care that much and it's just a laugh for you. The decision is yours.

Good answer!

- - - Updated - - -

Defo agree with the reply about making some fat beats and patches - if you're still struggling I would def recommend hooking up with a guitarist or bass player / sax etc , I started working with different musicians and it's very inspirational.

Seriously?

This probably made me chuckle a bit more than it should've, but it *is* true in a (brutally honest) way.

To OP; I used to whine about my art for a good while until I figured that was annoying people more than anything, so I just focused on making the art. Still do that now; if you're good, people will talk. If not, they won't.

Right now I'm not even focusing so much on making tunes as I am making sounds and seeing what I can do with them; if I think up a composition with them great, means I can start building it. If not, no big deal; I'll just switch to toying w/ some other sounds some other way. By now I probably have more samples than I know what to do with, but they're there, and when I have the time to open my DAW, I'll be sure to try and get things going.

You shouldn't stress yourself out on having these sorts of stalls, b/c they're natural. Not even the best in the scene spend 24/7 in the studio; they got lives outside of that and other priorities. They don't talk about having those problems tho b/c they understand EVERYONE goes through it, and the only real answer is to step back, mellow out, drop all your worries and get like a 5 year old in a toy store on Black Friday and do whatever the hell fancies you at any moment.

Just make some drums, and some synth patches that you can use later.

Or start cutting up a track to remix. Or do both.

Normally, after a week of solid production I will take a week off, so I dont feel like a mong infront of the computer all day. If im stuck creatively, doing something else usually helps. Getting some mental stimulation going.

Back
Top Bottom