processing of bass sounds

dieiscast

hy there. i'm still a beginner in producing that's why i've a question about modulation and processing.

i use massive to create bases. i have the problem (like other members in this forum) that the sounds are not sound fat and crispy enough. i looking forward to buy the camel phat plugin (holiday sale). is this recomendable or would you say, that the possibilities in massive are enough? how do you create your basses? is it in your opinion necessary to process the sounds outside massive? is it advisable to add a distortion in massive even if spilt the frequencies afterwards to process them separatly?

depending on what DAW you use, you will probably need to invest in some good distortion/saturation plug ins to get your bass more "fat" and "crispy" sounding. also EQ and compression play a big part

carefull though if you add to much distortion you can start to have a counter-productive effect on you sound ( bass will start to sound thin). get it sounding as best as you can within massive first, add some e.q and compression. then add some dist/sat for final polish try on a send first then you still have your original signal and you can e.q the distortion send to pull out some of the frequency's you want to cut through more. if you want some more power behind it try layering.

depending on what DAW you use, you will probably need to invest in some good distortion/saturation plug ins to get your bass more "fat" and "crispy" sounding. also EQ and compression play a big part

thanks a lot for the replies.

i use cubase 6 artist. so there is not that much in there IMO. which plugins could you recommend? i already have the guitar rig (from komplete 7) but i didn't already find the right components in there...

---------- Post added at 11:17 ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 ----------

carefull though if you add to much distortion you can start to have a counter-productive effect on you sound ( bass will start to sound thin). get it sounding as best as you can within massive first, add some e.q and compression. then add some dist/sat for final polish try on a send first then you still have your original signal and you can e.q the distortion send to pull out some of the frequency's you want to cut through more. if you want some more power behind it try layering.

thanks a lot. great feedback.

did i get i right: you would't use a lot inside massive?

another question about layering. do you use the same presets with other processings or should i better add some completely new sounds?

Using the same bass and layering it sounds great coz u want to have the same motion in each layer, unless you just want a flat sub-bass with a different bass on top

---------- Post added at 10:25 ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 ----------

i recommend digging up the Sabre tutorial from computer music to explain some layering of the bass!

so, thanks so far.

what do you think about this christmas offer? http://www.crysonic.com/bundles.html

i think i would not need this at my level of producing, but at this price!?! probably the bass enhancer, the compressor and the saturation effect could be interesstion for processing bass. has anyone some experience with it?

so, thanks so far.

what do you think about this christmas offer? http://www.crysonic.com/bundles.html

i think i would not need this at my level of producing, but at this price!?! probably the bass enhancer, the compressor and the saturation effect could be interesstion for processing bass. has anyone some experience with it?

I would never, ever, use any effect labeled as a "bass enhancer" or a "Bass Boost" as they usually just muddy up the sound. A few choice distortion/saturation/overdrive plugs, EQ, Compression and layering would be what I recommend.

You should buy ohmicide, or any multiband distortion unit. Chorus and different stereoizer plugins can help making dem basses fat.

Massive is more than capable of producing fatness, warmth and crispiness. It's all about experimenting with not just the Osc's, but the different noise/filter offerings (bitcrusher), fx (dimensional expander, various tube types) as well as wave form combinations. Also, and I don't mean to sound like a dick when I say this, read Massive's manual. It's very intuitive, informative and gives a lot of detail on the ins and outs of the different aspects of Massive. One such piece of info is that Massive was designed in a way that when pushing a signal beyond it's normal means, it actually adds a "distorted warmth" similar to analog synths as opposed to inaudible digital distortion. Massive is a beast, but is extremely functional once you've played around with it for a while.

*sidenote* In the coming days I'll be uploading some homegrown Massive patches created by myself and msmith222 to show you some of the potential filthy, devastating sounds that Massive is capable of.

Cheers.

thanks for all the help!

so i made a bass which is ok for now (not perfect yet but for the first try this is enough):

but now i'm stuck again. i would like some movement / rhythm to the bassline. i tried several things but i don't come closs. i would like to achieve something like this:

any tips? which filter should i try? should i filter the whole bass or just some frequencies? should i try to achieve this movement already in massive or with further processing?

sorry, this questions might be stupid, but it's really hard to get startet...

take the reece you made and add put a notch filter on it, randomly atumate it, also add a bunch of effects flanges, filters moving etc. Bounce a long section of randomness (all one note) say 30 seconds worth.

Put the bounce in to kontakt, find a section that sounds liek a stab that runs into a cool short "wha" type sound, loop the wha after the stab gets plays ...so the sound goes "Stab wha wha wha wha wha", then turn ur pitch bend on and play notes while working the picth bend. After that rinse and repeat, add effects filters etc

be carefull you might loop mong for a while once you start playing the pitch/looped reece ;)

dude IMO that is too heavily processed for your overall bass, you want to split your reece into 3 different layers (lows, mids and tops) and only phase/flange your very top layer that much not on the whole thing. anyway there is 2.2 million threads on this already so its ridiculous we are having this conversation

dude IMO that is too heavily processed for your overall bass, you want to split your reece into 3 different layers (lows, mids and tops) and only phase/flange your very top layer that much not on the whole thing. anyway there is 2.2 million threads on this already so its ridiculous we are having this conversation

i don't think you read my question...

Back
Top Bottom