Problems Recording Sets in Club.... Help!

Skatman B

Right... so at my last few events Ive tried to record the sets. The way Ive attempted this was by plugging an mp3 recorder (like this) into the back of the mixer via the record output phono points. The mixer being used is a Pioneer DJM700.

The problem I have is that the recording is always super distorted. Anyone thats used an mp3 recorder knows you can monitor the levels on the little screen, and I have turned the input gain on the recorder right down, so that the levels are not peaking at all.

All I can assume is that the sound is already disotorted when it leaves the mixer, the levels on the mixer are generally always in the red, although you hear no distortion over the club system, and lets be honest, 90% of set ups you play on are always going into the red. I cant simply turn the gains on the mixer down enough to compensate because its just to quiet and the amp/system in the club does not boost it enough, so the mixer has to be at a decent level.

Anyone got experience recording sets in a club? How do u do it?

Cheers

Sam

i think the record output on the pioneers bypass the actual master output on the mixer.
as long as the channels are not in the red it should be fine. if u need to keep the levels in the red for volume, i would try lowering the channels and compensate by pushing the master volume up if possible as this has no bearing on the record output.

Have tried that mate, but it literally is impossible to keep the channels out of the red, even with the master at 10. there must be a way round it

Back
Top Bottom