Problem with needle or somethink else?

Junglist_007

learning difficulties
VIP Junglist
Hi people, Quick question i bought brand new vinyl. Just put it on decks, plays to certain point then needle just skates across record. Does that mean the needle on its way out or vinyl scratched. It does it to some of my other new vinyl. Thanks

the needle could be slightly wonky, check to see if the cartridge/stylus is straight. could be the vinyl if it's slightly warped from exposure to heat.

Hi thanks for replays. I checked the settings recommend by Stanton on website. I checked cartridge/stylus looks all lined up. I cant try it on other deck, i got no needle for that one. I didn't know they warped from heat. So i take it, it's best not to stack vinyl on top of each other? Cheers guys

I've got/had tons of records that do this...

Fact is that record pressing has gone downhill from how it was thirty or forty years ago, something to do with the expertise of cutting masters on the lathe not being so widespread, and most of the vinyl used nowdays is quite thin and made up of mostly lower grade recycled vinyl. You can really see the difference if you go and grab an old record form the 60's or summat, then compare it up to the 12" you just bought. More than likely the 12" you just bough is much thinner and much much more bendy than the old one, which means that things like this happen way more often....

Just take it back to the shop, tell them it's a mis-press and can you have another? - any good record shop will swap it without question, as they probably know the above. If they haven't got another copy then they should offer you a couple of quid off the price - which is great news if the affected side is the a not so great b-side that you didn't want anyway.

You shouldn't really keep your records stacked on top of each other, but as long as your piles aren't too big, and are kept reasonably square you shouldn't really cause any real harm, as long as their not too close to a radiator or something!

My dad had every single release by the rolling stones ever, then left 'em on the back seat of his car and went to the pub when he was young... The sun warped every single one of them, all completely ruined - they looked like flower pots by the time he came out the pub...

Hi thanks for replays. I checked the settings recommend by Stanton on website. I checked cartridge/stylus looks all lined up. I cant try it on other deck, i got no needle for that one. I didn't know they warped from heat. So i take it, it's best not to stack vinyl on top of each other? Cheers guys

nah not all stacked up in pile, but you can have them leanin against each other verticaly stacked so it looks like this /////////// but not =.

Also keep away from radiators and if your decks are by the window dont leave records on the turntable, couple of years back the sunlight warped my djshadow - 6 days bad company remix and

and what???? finish the god damn story

your supposed to guess m8, its all part of the game

nah couldn't remember it, I know it wasn't as good as the 6days remix I was distraught wen that would'nt play.

Could have been 1 of the many records I've lost or broken over the years. I have a feelin it was friction butt ugly masrtions or summat lol

nah not all stacked up in pile, but you can have them leanin against each other verticaly stacked so it looks like this /////////// but not =.

I know I said you shouldn't really cause too much harm stacking 'em up, but like I said, you shouldn't really do it!! - I do stack up like 20 or so records that I've been playing the night before, for short periods, but not all of them all the time!!!

TBH listen to Jack, he's probably got way less broken records than me!

Mate of mine once spilt candle wax all over another mates record - it was this super rare Psychonauts Mo' Wax Retrospective we spent moths trying to figure out how to shift the wax without hurting the record but it never happened...

I reckon some kinda solvent like pure ethanol mighto got it but my mate didn't want to try it as he was still playing the other side and didn't want to risk it!

Thanks for replys. I keep vinyl stacked next 2 each now. I don't want to mess my vinyl up. I take it back to shop. Thanks for advice.

As long as your deck is set up properly its probably the needle or the record. I used to have Numark groovetools(shit) and now I have ortophon om dj's, the difference is massive. My records always used to jump after the second brekdown, used to drive me mad. Now I haven't had a single record jump with the ortophons so I reakon a big part of it is the quality of ya needles. If it still jumps your needles are worn out or the record is just badley pressed.(annoying but thats life):mad:

Back
Top Bottom