Probably going to buy a new sub, help needed!

ARTFX

Artist, sound designer and tutor
VIP Junglist
So yeahhh I was searching the web for a decent sub since the one I have isn't that great.
Do you guys have any advice on a good sub?

I'm working with Alesis M1Active 520 monitors connected to an EMU 1616 soundcard.
Then another question, how would I connect that sub to my monitors or soundcard? Maybe I'm doing something wrong on that part...

Thanks!

Yah I thought it was, but apparently it can be a lot better.
So I'll look intoo the possibilities, or maybe i'm doing something wrong with the setup.

many ways you can do it, you need a crossover of some kind, even the most basic ones will split a stereo signal into 2.1, although take note of the Noise ratio of the unit, and at the very least it should have a pot to change the frequency cut off between the stereo signal and the sub

you culd make a virtual crossover, create a Send, mono it and use a low-pass filter however it needs, route it to one of the 6 outputs on the card that is not being used by the stereo signal, you may also want to hi-pass your stereo signal aswell, this takes some understanding to get right, might want to read up a bit first as allot of strange things can happen to bass frequencies at crossover points

or you could use a mixing desk, harder to know for sure what frequencies you are affecting tho, except on hi-end models

I spent countless hours/weeks tuning my 2.1 setup to my room, including bass trap placement, taking room measurements, etc.

Basically it's not an easy task to tune your sub, but my consensus from all that is make sure your sub is only just audible and not too loud. People will always prefer a hyped sound to a flat sound so it's easy to turn up the bass but it won't do your mixes any good. Remember, keep your monitoring setup as FLAT as possible.

id recommend bigger monitors instead of a sub, easier to adjust etc.

still, my m1 mk2 are still too small, 8" cone would be sufficient tho i guess.

unless you have a really good combo (most preferably monitors that you could hook up with another sub easily, not cheap monitors and an extra sub), i think better monitors would do you more good.

imo etc of course.

edit: depends on how much money you want to shell out aswell..

Yeh a matching sub would be ideal and would integrate much easier.

Definitely consider bigger monitors buy I didnt have an issue adapting to my sub when I added it to my 5" monitoring system. Some mackies would be nice tho hehe

I agree, a monitor upgrade is probly a better option than a sub, the M1mk2's have been giving me allot of grief in the sub end recently, partly due to the shit acustics of my room, but also the monitors response is not as clean as it culd be esp 100-150hz, noticing it more all the time, and a tiny bit of muddyness in the high mid range, a sub culd easily add to that issue with the alesis monitors low end. recon makies will be my next upgrade asap

Back
Top Bottom