Pro Tools 8

DJ Wizz

Bless, Union, Force FM
VIP Junglist
Safe, I'm gonna grab myself an iMac 2moro, after a month or 2 of deliberation whether to get a mac or pc for my latest upgrade. I'm also gonna get myself an Mbox mini with the lates copy of Pro Tools. Ive been reading about it in Sound On Sound, and it looks reli good. They've now integrated midi editing aswell as bunch of other features. It comes with a whole load of plug-ins and VST instruments.

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=507&langid=100&itemid=35911

I was wondering if any1 here used Pro Tools and if they thought it was a good program and why?

safe

ive been a mac user 4 a long time you cant beat the performance/reliability of a mac especially now with the use of bootcamp. You've made the best decision of ur life u wont regret it, ive neva mad anymusic so not sure mate sorry

Protools is the most comprehensive piece of music software available. It's built solely for the professional market,so there's no comprismising in it making it fluffy and (ebginner) user friendly, but if you stick with it you'll get better results than even programmes like Logic or Cubase.

I don't own a mac myself but have used protools through friends and at college studios and I can't think or say enough good things about it.

The only think you really need to learn with protools is some level of restraint, you could work on the same production for years and tweak it constantly making it sound so perfect to the point it is too perfect and commercial/pop sounding.

What iMac you grabing?

it's the standard iMac 20-inch: 2.4GHz system. Its all i can actually afford, and i'm buying it on finance hahaha. but yer i'm gonna start uni in spet next year at westminster doing commercial music and all their studio's have mac's with pro tools so it seemed like the right thing to do.

if im honets im gonna be sad to see my beloved laptop running cubase and reason go but i think PT8 has stepped up its game in terms of midi editing and composing so now i think is the time to make the switch. and as for the mac's i just figured. y not? lol

safe, after having my system nearly set up (excluding external hard drive and memory upgrade from 1gb to 4gb whihc havnt arrived yet) i can saftly say that anyone looking for a quality in ur set up then mac and pro tools is the way!

i cant acually believe the amount of SICK! plug ins that come free with PT8 as well as about 7 rtas instruments!

i wud recomend this program to any1 hu produces music digitally. i wud never have said this before version 8 due to its un inspired GUI and its neglection of the home production marke, but now with 8 u get pro studio quality aswell as being suitable for home set ups!

installed all the NI instruments last night and still to to instal melodyne and T-racks but im actually loving my set up its boooya!

also while ur here any1 got the drumsound and bassline smith sample pack?

I been using pro-tools for a long time and rele should upgrade to pt8! does look sick.

Protools is the most comprehensive piece of music software available.

protools is terrible...
the day it has decent midi intergration
with bareable latency i will actually
consider it in the same league it competitors.....

it is the industry standard for copmputer
based mutli track recording....

for writing dance music it is a piece of shit....

protools is terrible...
the day it has decent midi intergration
with bareable latency i will actually
consider it in the same league it competitors.....

it is the industry standard for copmputer
based mutli track recording....

for writing dance music it is a piece of shit....

uve clearly never used pro tools 8. it dnt have any latency and it incorporates midi perfectly well in the new version, altho u can just use instrument tracks. u clearly just don't no how to use it and dnt understand the program. how can having elastic audio, pitch and time for sample editing not be for dance music? anyhow il go make sum more tunes now.

uve clearly never used pro tools 8.

i havent used the latest version...
but have definitely used previous installments...

it dnt have any latency

every piece of software has latency it is the
time it takes the sequencer to communicate with
the plug and return the signal....
so the lower the better...
this can always be adjusted manually by changing
the buffer size and the sampling rate.... though you
are going to be using much more processing power
per plug to do this....
protools has always had a problem with high latency...
this has been a known issue for sometime....

if they have fixed up the midi and latency issues
then about time..... they have finally fixed a major
problem that has really held this program back
as a usuable sequencer.... for anything
except recording and playing back audio....

u clearly just don't no how to use it and dnt understand the program.

actually no.... quite familiar with it....
was forced to learn it in the past....

i havent used the latest version...
but have definitely used previous installments...

every piece of software has latency it is the
time it takes the sequencer to communicate with
the plug and return the signal....
so the lower the better...
this can always be adjusted manually by changing
the buffer size and the sampling rate.... though you
are going to be using much more processing power
per plug to do this....
protools has always had a problem with high latency...
this has been a known issue for sometime....

if they have fixed up the midi and latency issues
then about time..... they have finally fixed a major
problem that has really held this program back
as a usuable sequencer.... for anything
except recording and playing back audio....

actually no.... quite familiar with it....
was forced to learn it in the past....

i totally agree. i never even bothered with pro tools 7. I only used it at college when doing multi track recordings or if i wanted to create my own samples. It did lack alot especially in terms of midi editing etc, I only considerd getting it cos it is what they use at my uni (and almost every other proffesional studio and i'm studying music production and business tings so makes sense reli) but decided to make the ultimate switch from cubase when seeing its power and capibility. believe me when i say tht the new one is actually one of the best designed pieces of software out there for every aspect of the music production market. it comes with a stupid amount of fucking amazing plug ins and 7 rtas instruments, aswell as having audio suite, elastic pitch and time aswell as having one of the best sequencer edit tools ive ever used.
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=507&langid=100&itemid=35911 chekc it for urself.

I thought latency was when what you said but only when it fucks up and staggers and has a delay etc. but im always learning more every day. I run a 2.4 ghz imac with 4gb of ram and i set the buffer size to 512 samples and usually have no issues (unless im using some mamoth presets in massive or something). but meh im loving making music at the moment. and thts all tht matter reli.

Back
Top Bottom