PreSonus Studio One

Discussion in 'Production' started by Kothy, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Kothy

Kothy Member

Hmm, been really looking into this DAW for some time now and I've been studying it, checking reviews and I hate to say it but it's slowly leaving Ableton in the dust.

Anyone got any insight on this DAW? Looks clean, sleek and beautiful. :p

2. Nydus

Nydus All in the sig.

lol what makes you think that?

3. Meloz

Meloz Member

I love it. I jumped from Cubase around a year ago and haven't looked back. It's a joy to work with, still quite young but overall a great DAW imo.

I have been through nearly every windows based DAW around but never really settled with one. I used Cubase for a couple of years but never really got on with it, it was a means to an end for me and never really had any allegiance to it. After trying the demo of S1 I instantly felt at ease, very intuitive and easy to use and didn't get in the way (like Cubase did for me).

But people are different, some might like it, and some might not, the only way to see if it's right for you is to grab the demo and play with it.

4. spyre

spyre sample all the things

It's very good but not better than ableton...yet.

5. Kothy

Kothy Member

Don't jump to conclusion right there.

Are you aware of all the 'minor' functions that make it Studio One?

Ableton yet hasn't made a 64bit version, nor an import to SoundCloud/MP3. If you took a look at my crash logs, you would be in shock.

Studio One has more of the "Logic" feel for windows and the "mixer" looks spot on.

Everyone can use a tool, but it comes down to the writer.

6. Kothy

Kothy Member

I've played with Fruity Loops, Reason, Ableton, Cubase, and Reaper.

You're right about Cubase, it is very crowded feeling which Ableton blew that DAW away for me! I love Ableton and the way It's just "different." It's like it's own little thing.

There are just many things I dislike about the software and feel the need to experiment.

7. Meloz

Meloz Member

I didn't get on with Ableton and I absolutely hated Sonar. Used FL for quite a while, didn't mind that but found it limited (that was like v6 though). Used Acid Pro for a while too, It was the first DAW I used (version 3 to Acid Pro 6 :-S) didn't mind it, but again was quite limited. Reason did my head in, I think if you come from a hardware background it might appeal to you more I just didn't get on with it. Settled on Cubase but like I said, it was ok, but I didn't love it. I bought S1 Pro the day after my trial expired and I am really happy with it. It's the first DAW I actually enjoy using.

8. Kothy

Kothy Member

You got skype or ne thing mate?

I wouldn't mind learning that DAW. (Installing at the moment.)
    Fancy giving me any tips + tutorials if you got any? (Youtube is fine as well.)

9. Meloz

Meloz Member

There is quite a good tutorial section on their website, they have videos that cover the majority of the topics (http://studioone.presonus.com/tutorials/). The manual it comes with too is quite comprehensive as well, but yeah, If you get stuck I can PM you my details. The community is also very good, they have a dedicated forum and lots of help out (http://forums.presonus.com/forums/list.page).

10. Kothy

Kothy Member

Thanks pal! Looking forward to learning the software!

11. spyre

Yeah I know all about S1 as I've used it since the first version. Don't get me wrong I really like S1 but I just feel that ableton is much better for resampling/sound design.

12. Kothy

Kothy Member

EDIT:

After working with S1, I feel the "touchyness" of it is awkward..
    Very nice and fun to work with, but I like the flow of Ableton, seems like not many people like how Ableton is.. as it's not like the rest of them..

All DAW's seem to look the same..

Reaper, Sonar, Logic, S1 and Cubase all seem to have the same feeling..

FL Studio, Reason, and Ableton seem to be the odd ones out. ;D

13. Meloz

Meloz Member

What do you mean by touchiness?

14. EvezDroppin

EvezDroppin how to change name,......

not had a proper go on ableton, but personally i hate the layout of it....

been using studio one for a while now and its ease of use is its main selling point everything is really easy to get.... may lack some depth, although anything I cant do in studio one for instance pitch bending audio sample you can use VST's for and with all my various VST's studio one does everything I need and more!

for the price as well.... cant fault it imo!

15. Elzerk

Elzerk 00111100 00110011

I have tried many DAW's and never found better than FL. After that every daw seems like they are lacking routing. Gotta take a look at studio one-

16. dbjungle

dbjungle DJ Syklone

I've been on S1 for about a year. Rowney named off a few good DAWs he trusts and it was the only one I hadn't tried so far. I think S1 is almost just as intuitive as FL (which I've used for several years). S1 has some pretty awesome features to bounce audio and I think it's the king of saving system resources.

17. Meloz

Meloz Member

I agree with that, my pc is seriously shite it's a 10 year old box running an amd athlon 64. It has past the point of any possible upgrades, an upgrade is a new pc pretty much but it handles s1 well. I do have to bounce tracks to audio when the tune has more and more plugins on tracks but I love the reverse feature that allows me to reverse it back to the track with all the plugins on it with the same configuration. Also just dragging stuff from the main window into the integrated explorer window is great for building up your loop libraries.

18. spyre

Anyone know of a way to change the colour theme of it?