DnB Preparing a break loop for slicing/ speeding it up

chizzel89

Hi everyone, I'm new here and fairly new to producing jungle. I i've been picking up bits of gear for years but never got round to putting it into use until a couple of months ago. A jungle label owner kindly gave me a couple of days tutorial in sampling etc and I've now got most of a tune (in terms of samples and programming).
However, I decided to get my breaks the proper way and sample them from a lossless copy of the actual tune in this case Lyn Collins' Think break.

I'm using Soundforge to edit and slice the samples, then loading them into Kontakt and sequencing/ programming in the piano roll in Cubase 5. I'm sure there are more streamlined ways of doing it, but this was the way I was taught and getting this far has been a bit of an (albeit fun) mission.

So I extract all the seperate slices of the Think break (10 of them) and then use them in Kontakt. The issue I'm having is that by the time I've sped them up enough for it to sound Ok, the slices are too short for their block in the piano roll. So I flick the (until end) thing in Kontakt so the slice starts looping back on itself (kinda extends the slice a bit) but it's still not enough.

So I try going back into soundforge and opening my break with all its markers in there and I pitch it up till it sounds at the same pitch as one of the generic ones from Jungle Warfare. But this still doesn't seem to be enough... Does it need time stretching as well? Or have I just not sped it up enough before extracting the markers as regions?
Do I need to speed it up to the right tempo before putting in the markers on the transients- surely the transient is in the same place regardless of how much the sample has been pitched up?

I guess once Im over this hurdle I need to make the break sound nice, but Im treating that as a seperate project once I have done all the programming/ sequencing on the piano rolls for the various samples Im using.

The only generic samples Im using are some bass sounds from Jungle Warfare and some of the pad sounds (which I've altered using some other plugins). The rest of the samples are pretty unique and taken from Cds and Records..

Anyway, any tips much appreciated!

Hi everyone, I'm new here and fairly new to producing jungle. I i've been picking up bits of gear for years but never got round to putting it into use until a couple of months ago. A jungle label owner kindly gave me a couple of days tutorial in sampling etc and I've now got most of a tune (in terms of samples and programming).
However, I decided to get my breaks the proper way and sample them from a lossless copy of the actual tune in this case Lyn Collins' Think break.

I'm using Soundforge to edit and slice the samples, then loading them into Kontakt and sequencing/ programming in the piano roll in Cubase 5. I'm sure there are more streamlined ways of doing it, but this was the way I was taught and getting this far has been a bit of an (albeit fun) mission.

So I extract all the seperate slices of the Think break (10 of them) and then use them in Kontakt. The issue I'm having is that by the time I've sped them up enough for it to sound Ok, the slices are too short for their block in the piano roll. So I flick the (until end) thing in Kontakt so the slice starts looping back on itself (kinda extends the slice a bit) but it's still not enough.

So I try going back into soundforge and opening my break with all its markers in there and I pitch it up till it sounds at the same pitch as one of the generic ones from Jungle Warfare. But this still doesn't seem to be enough... Does it need time stretching as well? Or have I just not sped it up enough before extracting the markers as regions?
Do I need to speed it up to the right tempo before putting in the markers on the transients- surely the transient is in the same place regardless of how much the sample has been pitched up?

I guess once Im over this hurdle I need to make the break sound nice, but Im treating that as a seperate project once I have done all the programming/ sequencing on the piano rolls for the various samples Im using.

The only generic samples Im using are some bass sounds from Jungle Warfare and some of the pad sounds (which I've altered using some other plugins). The rest of the samples are pretty unique and taken from Cds and Records..

Anyway, any tips much appreciated!

Ez mate, I'd say if you've tried all the above, before you do any slicing just bring your break into Cubase as audio, pitch it up however much you want, and then just timestretch it as much as you need to for the break to fit over 2 bars or whatever it may be.

You shouldn't need to stretch it much at all so you won't lose any quality on it really, then once you've stretched it, export it and bring it into Kontakt and off you go, no more gaps. :)

Alternatively there's a great program called Recycle for chopping up breaks which has a similar function to the "until end" thing in Kontakt which always seems to do the trick for me, so I'd recommend checking that out alternatively.

Good luck mate!

Thanks for the tips :) Was the work of seconds loading the alreadt sped up break into cubase, time stretching over 1 bar, then exporting and chopping it up again in soundforge. I've been doing all the slicing by eye on the transients since that was the way I was taught. The breaks sounding nice now :) Nearly got my first tune all programmed. Got a mate coming round to help me tweak the individual tracks, mix it and do a quick mastering bodge on it so I can play it. Will post a link up. It does have some cool samples in there :)

Back
Top Bottom