prefered method of beat making??

Freek

Lets get freeeeeeky
VIP Junglist
Safe peeps? this is not a request for help. Purely jus interested to know. How does everyone make their beats? Do you use breaks and then edit the break pattern to create a new beat? Or do you create beats from scratch with drum hits?

Years ago I started using breaks and edditing the pattern however I found this to add limitations as you cannot change the sound of each beat if you don't like it.
Now I prefer to create beats from scratch with maybe a break hidden underneath for depth. I understand that different types of dnb will call for different methods, but I am interested to see what the majority do?

Peace

Im differnt everytime, might have an element be it a break, a bass sound, even an fx that will start my tune off.i got a thread on here on how i start my beats though when makingg them 1st, check it if ya like ;)

Usually use a combination of high passed breaks and standard "robotic" kicks, snares and hats for the weight. bung it all in the chopper and take it from there really, eq'ing as i go or leave it right untill the end.

He's asking about drum beat/break creation specifically, not tune inspiration.

I like generated beats mixed with sampled ones.

Yes i know, hense why i answered that i start differntly each time.

he asked about how we start when using our breaks, ie making them purely drom scratch, or by adding to breaks thickening it up.

Which is what i answered, then mentioned my thread to show him HOW i make mine.

Now that ive had to explain myself to you can you see it? :ban::lamur:

And has anyone ever tried using the pattern sequencer on redrum, that thing got on my tits when i experimented lol. Got it all rewired through Protools & Cubase now so pattern sequencers are no more for me, but did anyone ever use the onboard sequencer on redrum??

And has anyone ever tried using the pattern sequencer on redrum, that thing got on my tits when i experimented lol. Got it all rewired through Protools & Cubase now so pattern sequencers are no more for me, but did anyone ever use the onboard sequencer on redrum??

thats wat i use!

Def personal pref i guess, i imagine u can get sum crazy patterns from it, i jus never really used it. Always used redrum. jus not the built in sequencer.

the way i make my beats is similar to the way Zeal explained it in his thread - 2 main kicks, 2 main snares, hats / rides all programmed from scratch, then several hi passed breaks (some re-arranged to match the main rhythm, some are ok the way they are, maybe some kicks or snares from these breaks removed so as not to clash with the main programmed hits)

as for Reason, i stopped using the redrum a while ago, normally use the NN-XT or even the NN-19 for my one shots as you have a lot more control / routing options over each individual sound that way

the way i make my beats is similar to the way Zeal explained it in his thread - 2 main kicks, 2 main snares, hats / rides all programmed from scratch, then several hi passed breaks (some re-arranged to match the main rhythm, some are ok the way they are, maybe some kicks or snares from these breaks removed so as not to clash with the main programmed hits)

as for Reason, i stopped using the redrum a while ago, normally use the NN-XT or even the NN-19 for my one shots as you have a lot more control / routing options over each individual sound that way

AMEN!!

Yeah i use that. Its really good for making hi hat patterns aswell as other percussion. Thing i like about it is you can make patterns with varying velocity and easily change the pitch of the samples.

I use redrum to make a really basic beat and then work around that like filling in with elements to see what sounds good. I sometimes use the channel outputs at the back of the redrum to say rewire the snare to an effect. I also use the NN-XT sometimes aswell cause its a bit more flexible than the redrum. With the redrum I don't use the onboard sequencer, I prefer to use the edit track tbh all down to preference I guess.

Last edited:
kick, snare, hat/s, break1, break2, break3, cymbals, more hats, shuffle, extra layer/s on the kick & extra layer/s on the snare, eq, eq, eq, and eq somemore ;)

Layered 3 kicks, 3 snare, and 1 hihat. Split each into mixer channels, and EQ them, then route then all to one mixer channel and master them. Then export and add a highpassed break and export again.

Basicly

Back
Top Bottom