practice tips

jimjimjim

oldskool
VIP Junglist
Hey there,
so i been mixing for about a month or so.
i can beatmatch now (getting quicker at it anyway)
So my question is whats your advice for practising?
should i try and get a "set" perfected - already got a few lists of about 10 tracks that i can put together.
Or carry on trying to get better at beat matching?
or whatever?
cheers
jim

considering your a bit of a noob i would suggest you get a playlist of a hundred tunes and just go from start to finish... by the end you will no what doesnt work with what maybe why too, you will understand different song structures, vibes and themes, no doubt u may encounter vocals and how songs structure them...

thats what i do when i do my monthly beatport run... literally go from start from finish and see where it takes may tunes i regret buying what are going to be in every mix from then on and etc..

just keep practicing and have fun! The way I learnt to mix I had about 60 DNB vinyl that my friend gave me and just started going through them, writing down what tunes double drop well and what tunes go together. Learning your songs inside out is what really helps because when you know this it will make beatmatching alot easier and when you can do that you move onto double dropping, beat juggling and any other badman skills you wanna do.

cool guys.
thats pretty much what im doing - going through all the tracks finding out what goes with what.
its tricky knowing when to drop in the next tune - guess that comes with experience.
havent done a double drop yet - thats a bit pro for me at the moment lol

Tips that helpded me:

- Mix as many tunes that you dont know very well as you can.

- Ride the pitch, stay away from the platters once the tunes in the mix

- Pay attention to EQ's and what you want from each tune to come through (highs of one, bass of the other etc).

- Only mix tunes you like. Only way you can make sure you enjoy doing it and want to progress.

Back
Top Bottom