Powerful yet clear bedroom monitors

muzzadj

VIP Junglist
Looking into buying a new pair of speakers for my dj setup.. also for a bit of production. I am replacing my KRK RP5G2's as they are not really powerful enough for when i want to have a really loud mix! Was thinking of getting the next model up from them the KRK R6's.. http://www.decks.co.uk/products/krk/R6 .. They are 100w each whereas the RP5's are just 45w, is that going to make a hell of a lot of difference or do i need a bit more power than 200w? Only in a bedroom but they RP5's just don't quite cut it on the with the volume unfortunatly!

Also had a look at these Mackies.. http://www.decks.co.uk/products/mackie/mr5

And these active PA ones.. http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR218469

So which ones are going to better? Or are there any suggestions?! Maximum budget of £300 at the very most. Would rather not spend that much though

EDIT: Just realised the KRK's are passive, meaning they need to be powered seperately, right?

Thanks

Last edited:
Don't see how the krk5's aren't 'powerfu'l' enough for your room :confused:
Do you mean that they don't produce enough low end? I don't see how they couldn't be loud enough, I rarely push mine and they still pack a punch.
Because for around the price you stated you won't find much difference either side of 3-4Hz (in the low end) I'd imagine. And in terms of overall consistency and sound reproduction you can't got far wrong with krk's.
You'd need to be knocking on the door of £1000 to be kicking out some serious weight/quality.

EDIT: Just realised the KRK's are passive, meaning they need to be powered seperately, right?

"Team the R6 up with your favorite power amplifier and enjoy clarity and accuracy in your project, home or professional studio."

"Recommended Amplifier Power 50-150 W (8 Ohms)"

Imo if you want beef and substance then you might as well just get a sub woofer as well. It'll increase the life of your monitiors due the fact the sub will handle all the lows leaving you tops to handle the mid and treble. I got the krk sub and the amount of bass from that thing is ridiculous, whilst still maintaing clarity from my monitors.

i have the rp8s and dnt push the volume past half way ever, surely the 5's are loud enough? how far away are u from ur speakers lol

Imo if you want beef and substance then you might as well just get a sub woofer as well. It'll increase the life of your monitiors due the fact the sub will handle all the lows leaving you tops to handle the mid and treble. I got the krk sub and the amount of bass from that thing is ridiculous, whilst still maintaing clarity from my monitors.

I was thinking about geting sub. I got Mackie PA speaker hooked up. Would i need sub? If so what would be good sub to go for? Cheers for any help

Well i like to have it pretty loud, and sometimes when i get excited on the decks i will turn the volume up fairly high, but to a volume i think would be ok and it sounds like the speakers are limiting the volume and pushing it back down. It's still pretty loud, but would love it a bit louder, i mean 45w per speaker really isn't that much is it?

As above, get the KRK sub. 45W per speaker is plenty of power for a small room. Not that watts = volume, but that's for another day...

Buy the sub, keep the receipt and take it back if it doesn't satisfy you. Your RP5s have more than enough power but it's being wasted trying to produce low end. That's what the sub is for. My 30W Nad + B&W combo is plenty loud at about 15% volume.

You're not trying to fill a stadium with sound are you?

Buy the sub, keep the receipt and take it back if it doesn't satisfy you. Your RP5s have more than enough power but it's being wasted trying to produce low end. That's what the sub is for. My 30W Nad + B&W combo is plenty loud at about 15% volume.

You're not trying to fill a stadium with sound are you?

I can't just use the Sub on its own though surely?! And saying that, it is a little out of budget for the KRK one

give ur ears a rest for a while then get a sub, u shudnt have em full blast when theyre only a feet or 2 away from u man surely thats doing damage. gota have ur headphones cranked up to hear them good aswell?
wud advise getting the rp8s if u can get the cash, they are loud as fuck... like i said never get close to half volume and its shaking the whole house with bass!

alesis m1 actives too... can handle house party levels, nice and loud and most importantly, crisp! also got a dial on the back to turn up 'loudness' ie trebble and bass for party situations, and tunred off for accurate monitoring! good bargain!

I will need to sell my ones i have now to get the majority of the money saved, because as i said before these ones just don't seem powerful enough for my liking

So let me get this straight: for the price of a pair of KRKs, you want to buy some speakers that do the job of a pair of KRKs and a sub?

No, i'm willing to lose a bit of sound quality for a bit more volume is what im trying to get at! With an extra 50quid or so on top of the value of the KRK's, so i have a 300pound budget

Back
Top Bottom