Powerful Snare?

ez mate, its all about selecting the right sample/s in the first place always use hi quality sounds that have a quality that u are looking for in the end product - layer a few snares together (try one low punchy type sound and layer with a snappy hi type sound), boost the low one around 150 - 200hz for that punch. really just try and tweak each layer separately until ur happy with the overall sound. careful when layering breaks on top of this as u can take away the definition sumtimes by doing this (so may be worth takin the snares out of ur breaks if that helps). u can also bring out more punch with compression (if ur not too familiar with compression do sum reading up good thread on doa) ;)

What ketz said

just think about the sound u want and try to pick the right snare samples with the characteristics you desire :)

Something I picked up off here once was to layer a kick under your snare for extra weight. I've tried it a few times, worked ok.

I use abit of light compression sometimes, a small attack and a quick release.

I can't remember exactly how i do it but play around with it, just don't go overboard.

Compression can make a snare snap rather jovially

you can get a godly snapping going if you set the attack longer. For 175ish, 1/32th (or 1/64th cant remember, but it sounds good tho) means about 43 milliseconds. Try a big ratio - maybe 5:1, attack 45ms and then start dropping the treshold until it snaps enuff. Could also go for 90ms for a bigger effect. You need to have the input level quite loud for it to push through in the mix however.

might be obv but make sure that frequency area of your mix isn't already being taken up by something. having other insts dominating 200hz will make even the hardest snare sound weak.

also if there is a sound taking up this frequnc range it might be good to use sidechain compression to duck the offending noise everytime the snare hits.

might be obv but make sure that frequency area of your mix isn't already being taken up by something. having other insts dominating 200hz will make even the hardest snare sound weak.

also if there is a sound taking up this frequnc range it might be good to use sidechain compression to duck the offending noise everytime the snare hits.

sidechain compression is deff something i'll have to work on!!
Ez

has anyone actually tried the taxman myth of taking a kick and pitching it up and compressing? that came around like a year ago on here, has anyone actually done it yet?

you dont really need to use compression on snares, just layer them up, and boost the frequencys, for a jump upy snare usually boost around 160-180 to give it that deep punch. in my jump up tracks its not uncommon for me to layer 5-6 snares to get more ooompf. just watch ur not distorting!

If you do a lot of resampling with your drums i find it you can get a good sound if you bounce the snare at something like +1 db without any normalization. It can give the snare a good punchy/snappy sound

Back
Top Bottom