Potentially making the switch to CDJ's this year - Suggestions please

The Watcha

VIP Junglist
So, (as the title suggests) I'm potentially going to be making the switch to CDJ's this year.

A friend of mine has a pair that he kitted himself our with on some inheritance money + some 1210's. I believe he went for a pair of Pioneer CDJ-900's (as I'm sure he told me they were about or over £1000 each).

The CDJ's I would like to get need to have the CD & USB function, and I would rather get CDJ's rather than getting a laptop & Serato (or similar) as I can then use my friends CDJ's when I go round his. I don't want to fork out £2000 for a pair, but would stretch to about £1500 for a pair.

My initially thoughts are to get a pair of Pioneer CDJ-850's. Anyone else have these / would recommend them? And anyone else have any other suggestions in the same kind of price bracket?

850s all the way for your budget man. They will do everything you need and use the same industry standard functions across all higher end Pioneers

Gemini 700's. Seriously. They're a great budget deck that can do everything you need. They're well built. They're strikingly similar to the Pioneers for half the price.

Personally, I would go with the Denon 3700's, but they're not used in any clubs. Kind of pointless to practice on, but they're bad as fuck.

Pioneer XDJ R1 might be worth taking a look at.

Pioneer DDJ SZ is one sick piece of kit too, but probably way out of your price range.

If you have a secure job and steady income i recomend djfinancedirect. Will let you futureproof your setup rather than going for budget options that you'll want to upgrade later. And won't break the bank (not all in one go at least).

I financed myself a xone92 and serato sl4 and its one of the best things ive ever done. Had the kit 2 days after applying and pay off like £60 a month. My pals were like "so instead of saving up for it you now pay £60 a month???!! Thats more than my phone bill! blah blah blah". What i explained to them is, there are people out there who spend far more than £60 a month on their hobbies... (football games, golf, etc). £60 a month was a small price to pay for the sheer enjoyment and satisfaction ive got from the kit.

Last edited:
Stick with Pioneer, I think the 350's might have a usb drive, but I hate using the smaller jogwheel, so have a look at 850/900.

Have a think about getting Traktor / serato as well and then say getting some 800 Mk2's; this is the setup I've got and it'll only cost you like 8 or 900 if you've got a decent spec laptop already.

- - - Updated - - -

Are the 850's compatible with Rekordbox? And am I right in thinking that if the decks are wired up with an ethernet to Rekordbox that you can play out live with no usb's? I swear Friction does this now.

I don't think the 850s are HID. There's something weird about them, but I can't remember. I'm about to make the switch as well, but I'm leaning towards the XDJ R1. It's more realistic with my budget. I can't justify having a $2000 rig in my bedroom to play to my dog. The XDJ R1 is a controller that can also play cd's or USB and is compatible with Rekordbox.

put it this way... i bought a pair of numark NDX 200's over a year ago.... probably the cheapest CDJ's you can buy, they've got fuck all as far as gadgets and functions go, not even a scratch function, but they've managed to survive flying halfway round the world with me twice, and have given me plenty of enjoyment along the way.

now, i'm not saying go out and buy cheap, i wouldn't actually recommend these ones at all to anyone who can afford better, but what i am saying is, don't think you have to break the bank to have a decent bedroom set-up.

put it this way... i bought a pair of numark NDX 200's over a year ago.... probably the cheapest CDJ's you can buy, they've got fuck all as far as gadgets and functions go, not even a scratch function, but they've managed to survive flying halfway round the world with me twice, and have given me plenty of enjoyment along the way.

now, i'm not saying go out and buy cheap, i wouldn't actually recommend these ones at all to anyone who can afford better, but what i am saying is, don't think you have to break the bank to have a decent bedroom set-up.

Exactly. Peoples ego plays a big part i think, the "i cant buy that because its not the 'proper' kit" attitude.
On the flip side though im a firm believer that if you can afford it get the best you can. By once, buy right.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions so far!

Is Rekordbox the program you run your tune through and it shows the breakdowns in the digital window on the CDJ? And also create cue point on the tunes?

Had a look into those Gemini 700's & they do look similar. Not too keen on those controllers though. Just something about them that puts me off

Stick with Pioneer, I think the 350's might have a usb drive, but I hate using the smaller jogwheel, so have a look at 850/900.

Have a think about getting Traktor / serato as well and then say getting some 800 Mk2's; this is the setup I've got and it'll only cost you like 8 or 900 if you've got a decent spec laptop already.

Are the 850's compatible with Rekordbox? And am I right in thinking that if the decks are wired up with an ethernet to Rekordbox that you can play out live with no usb's? I swear Friction does this now.

The 850's are compatible with Rekordbox + I have 1210 mk5g's but not a laptop, thats why I'm thinking of CDJ's

im a firm believer that if you can afford it get the best you can. By once, buy right.

Same. Thats why I wanted some 1210's, as they can last you the rest of your life. Want to buy some decent CDJ's new for the same reason.

I will try and find a good dj shop where they have some 850's so I can see them in the flesh

Thanks for everyone's suggestions so far!

Is Rekordbox the program you run your tune through and it shows the breakdowns in the digital window on the CDJ? And also create cue point on the tunes?

Had a look into those Gemini 700's & they do look similar. Not too keen on those controllers though. Just something about them that puts me off

The 850's are compatible with Rekordbox + I have 1210 mk5g's but not a laptop, thats why I'm thinking of CDJ's

Same. Thats why I wanted some 1210's, as they can last you the rest of your life. Want to buy some decent CDJ's new for the same reason.

I will try and find a good dj shop where they have some 850's so I can see them in the flesh

Why not go with Traktor / Serato then mate? I made the switch recently from not having decks for a while (Vinyl to start, then CDJS for a year or two) to buying some 1210's again, immediately I bought Traktor and a Xone 42, and its made mixing so so fun.

Why not go with Traktor / Serato then mate? I made the switch recently from not having decks for a while (Vinyl to start, then CDJS for a year or two) to buying some 1210's again, immediately I bought Traktor and a Xone 42, and its made mixing so so fun.

Exactly why I don't like cdjs, I just don't enjoy em. Gimme wax or serato any day.

Well I've just bought a controller and found out it's much easier to mix with than turntables. Just thought I'd throw that into the mix.

Well I've just bought a controller and found out it's much easier to mix with than turntables. Just thought I'd throw that into the mix.

I agree, if you're using sync. Take sync off and they fall out of time a lot, but ya i guess all in all they make it a bit easier, especially once you get more organized with cue points and stuff like that

What kinda controller did you get, and are you liking it?

He hasnt' got a laptop

Yeh, that is an option. I like mixing vinyl more than having a go on my friends CDJ's, but its fiddling around and getting Traktor / Serato set up. If I get to play out some day, it seems far easier rocking up an mixing on the clubs CDJ's rather than wiring in Traktor / Serato + I have heard a fair few top dj's including Ant TC1 say that you struggle to find a working pair of turntables in clubs these days. The majority of top dj's seem to be on CD's

He hasnt' got a laptop

Nor did I, bought a £100 core 2 duo lenovo and it runs traktor flawlessly

Na, I don't. But it is an option

Go with timecode vinyl man. Don't worry about playing out, just use CD's. Piece of piss to get used to if you get a gig lined up, just have a play around on some for half hour or so and you will be fine. If you can mix vinyl, you can mix CDJ's no problem as long as you know how to function it! Your a good DJ mate, wouldn't worry about that too much. Can always look to add a CDJ or 2 to your setup in the future.

Back
Top Bottom