flat1985

First two tracks that come to mind are

[video=youtube_share;u5net9rXbVI]http://youtu.be/u5net9rXbVI[/video]

[video=youtube_share;927KHL0tNZ4]http://youtu.be/927KHL0tNZ4[/video]

Nice thread

This whole album is dem bizniz

another album that should be much better known

dark side jump up , the synth/bass noise on the drop is wicked

yeah calibre is not exactly underrated or unknown but this tune tucked away on the 2nd CD of musique concrete is one of his finest moments (imo)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Post underrated or Unknown Drum & Bass Tracks From 1999 2002

^ Naphta - "One Squeeze" - Bassbin

Om Unit / Machinedrum style footwork DnB from 2002 before there was even such a thing as footwork.

- - - Updated - - -

Blake's Seven - Amber Leaf - Reinforced 2002

Wicked techy tune from a one-off Total Science alias. All about double dropping it with DBridge - True Romance - the wee stabs in the breakdown of Amber Leaf totally fill out that dirgy whiney squealy breakdown in True Romance and make the whole thing just perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

Pieter K - Trefusis Point - Breakbeat Science 2001

Deadly techy atmospheric stepper, I've always battered this, never heard anyone else play it ever.

- - - Updated - - -

Zero Tolerance - Brace - Subtitles 2002 -> has never been on youtube but it's fucking wicked, really original dark broken roller, easily one of Zero T's best tunes.

- - - Updated - - -

Q Project - Radar - Good Looking

Not sure how underrated or underplayed it is, but I've been drawing for this one LOADS again lately, works really nice in a set full of DBridge-y Exit type jams.

Pieter K - Trefusis Point - Breakbeat Science 2001

Deadly techy atmospheric stepper, I've always battered this, never heard anyone else play it ever.
nice, I like that. youtube can't handle the bass on it though :)

Nice call on Peiter K. He just had another release. It was the Material Trip vibe, but I didn't really like it.

- - - Updated - - -

He had some beautiful releases on Renegade Recordings too.

- - - Updated - - -

Vector Burn - Bury Me Standing
ICBM - The Pursuit

The neuro heads should check out everything by Sinthetix and arQuer and Realtime.

nice, I like that. youtube can't handle the bass on it though :)

Yeah man! It sounds SILLY on a big rig too, proper secret weapon!

Nice call on Peiter K. He just had another release. It was the Material Trip vibe, but I didn't really like it.

- - - Updated - - -

He had some beautiful releases on Renegade Recordings too.

Yeah that Transatlantic EP with JuJu was wicked as well.

not sure if it's really unknown? most certainly not what he is famous for, one of my faves from him!

Such a difficult thread to post in, keep going through my records and pulling out tunes, going to post them in here, and finding that they're not on youtube...

- - - Updated - - -

Mathematics - Fantasy - Frontline, 2002

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlZ4AajbG9g

Awesome classic liquid tune, vaguely Zinc-style rattly break, nice chords and a string section that lifts it from "mildly generic into "underrated classic" territory. Listening back now it's pretty fast, play it at -2 and you've got yourself a winner though.

- - - Updated - - -

Twisted Anger - Damage (off the Breakage EP on Penny Black)

Amazing tune this, proper darkage, has aged really well too, I play this in sets full of Ruffhouse, Clarity and Overlook type things and it fits right in, really cold strings, Sinister-style stabs after the second drop, rugged industrial drums. Not on youtube but there's a short clip on the Rolldabeats page. Goes for pennies on discogs.

http://www.rolldabeats.com/release/9107/penny_black/pblr020

Last edited:
Was on his 'Confidential' album/compilation/best of so probably quite well known.

Speaking of those Ils remixes though, there was a great Mathematics remix of "Music" off the same album that that High Contrast remix was done for, proper naughty little bubbler, it's never been on youtube, although the Evil9 breaks remix on the flipside is. Also goes for pennies on Discogs, lol.

Twisted Anger - Damage (off the Breakage EP on Penny Black)

Amazing tune this, proper darkage, has aged really well too, I play this in sets full of Ruffhouse, Clarity and Overlook type things and it fits right in, really cold strings, Sinister-style stabs after the second drop, rugged industrial drums. Not on youtube but there's a short clip on the Rolldabeats page. Goes for pennies on discogs.

http://www.rolldabeats.com/release/9107/penny_black/pblr020

nice, not heard that one... Twisted Anger - woodsnake off the Breakage vol.1 compilation from a couple of years before is one of the darkest tunes ever

Q Project - Safety Clause

My favourite bassline ever I think. Rolling dnb at its best

Future Cut - Uprock

B-boy breaks + hench sub bass stabs = good times

Matrix, Fierce & Ryme Tyme - Lightsleeper

Simultaneously aggressive and soothing, with real funk to the bass

Sinthetix - Anomaly

I think of this as a better and less annoying version of The Nine

Teebee - The Void

Vintage Teebee. Weird spaced out grooves

Pascal - Hold You

Big tune at the time but long forgotten now. Banger

Mathematics - Fantasy - Frontline, 2002

Yeah great track!

nice, not heard that one... Twisted Anger - woodsnake off the Breakage vol.1 compilation from a couple of years before is one of the darkest tunes ever

Damn right! Some proper classics in his back catalogue, keep turning up where you least expect them to as well.

Here's another one, as Danny C not Twisted Anger; came out on Cyantific's old label in 2002, just in time to make it into this thread! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL6z3wfVCys

Fuck me, imagine Cyantific putting out something this good in 2013. Sadness.

- - - Updated - - -

Another Mathematics one, came out on a various artists EP on JuJu's label in like 2001 or 2002, proper naughty little roller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl92a9-JsKs

Here's another one, as Danny C not Twisted Anger
aaah... that solves the mystery of why I thought someone said twisted anger was an Andy C alias... I knew that didn't sound right!

Back
Top Bottom