Sappo - Do It

Hype & Zinc - Untitled

Digital - Hard Ears

Trinity - It's Over

Capone - You & Me

Undercover Agent - Rocket

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.rolldabeats.com/release/12313/timeless_recordings/tyme014

Massive Total Science release on Timeless, also not on Youtube but there's clips on Rolldabeats. Never heard anyone else play it but surely someone else out there must love "Elementary" as much as I do?

Is that the one with the whistling noise over the bass? I used to cane that if so. The flip was pretty good as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
@tyranny , enjoyed that show. thought I was going mad until I realised you were chatting in irish though, lol.

nice way to open up with some sun ra as well, I like that shit! Languidity is a great album of his, only discovered it on youtube recently...

s'pose I'd better shut up and post a tune.

this is the kind of track I think krust was going for on coded language but it didn't quite work

Re: Post underrated or Unknown Drum & Bass Tracks From 1999 2002

Cheers man! Yeah dodgy mixing up the wazoo, same every week up there it's a pretty crappy set up; has to be Irish language because it's a legal taxpayer funded station, but at least they make a big deal about pushing underground music; three hours of DnB from 9-12 on a Wednesday night is pretty good going tbh! It's certainly a more interesting station than any of the local pirates are (who all mainly play shit trance and hard house).

That Sun Ra record is the repress on All City, there's a pretty next-level Machinedrum remix on the flip you might like as well.

- - - Updated - - -

@Serum - some big selections there! Don't think "Hard Ears" is underrated or unknown though!

@ Large Marge - That Guardians of Dalliance tune sick, never heard that before, fair play!

Here's one, suspect everyone who bought this just battered "Hopscotch" on the flip, but they're missing out on one of Krust's biggest tunes (although granted it's not one I'd stick in a personal top ten of his music, even though I've played it an awful lot over the years, especially recently - big mix with Escher - "Rugged")

Calibre's very first release - came out on a Dublin DnB label that was financed by U2 and was named after the DnB night in their venue The Kitchen....

Nothing like almost anything he released subsequently, but you can hear the ear for a good sample he had right from the very start; check out those Ry Cooder-esque blues guitar chords over the breakdown. I still play this on the radio every so often, it's lovely imo. B-side is a pretty amateur-ish effort that sounds a bit more like modern Calibre but without the production skills to really back it up. This goes for pennies on Discogs...

Even more obscure is the release Calibre did with one of the guys from another Belfast DnB outfit called Cappo Regime under the name "Loose Dragon" - also came out on Quadraphonic. It's a four-track 12" with a few vaguely Photek / Bukem inspired jams.

cool, never heard that calibre tune, always thought Mystic/Feelin was his 1st release. def a lot more spacey than his other stuff, builds nicely too... and we have Bono to thank for it? haha

He had a few records out before Mystic / Feelin'

The story behind Calibre getting signed to Creative Source is that just after he'd got his first release out on Quadrophonic they booked Fabio to play and offered Calibre the warmup; this was before he could mix so he brought his studio gear down and did a live set there and then - Fabio was amazed, asked Calibre how many tunes he actually had finished and when he was told "about 200 or so" signed thirty of them on the spot - that was the Musique Concrete album and the brown ep and a few of the other ones. Still have a flyer for that night knocking around in a shoebox somewhere!

Massively underrated / underplayed banger from Klute in 2001, used to batter this one, all about that throbbing bass and those strings, proper tings. Everyone always bums the 12" he did on 31 but Galaxian is miles better than Songseller IMO.

Back
Top Bottom