post production mastering

vickvega

Mr. Blonde
VIP Junglist
any thoughts-made a diffrence in your ears?
know a guy or pro's?
do it your self or leave it to someone else
i know labels typically do this for artist they sign but im talkin
for those who arent
demos-mastered or not
opinions-thoughts

any thoughts-made a diffrence in your ears?
know a guy or pro's?
do it your self or leave it to someone else
i know labels typically do this for artist they sign but im talkin
for those who arent
demos-mastered or not
opinions-thoughts

None of my tunes are mastered properly, just EQ'd as best as i can using shity speakers and really raw/unmastered sounding.

But dont you have to send them off to the house raw anyway?... as in a compression-free mixdown?

i think its worth giving your tunes a little limiting if nothing else. obviously you send the mastering house a clean mixdown but for demos/promos i always "master" them to a playable standard myself.

somthing that i got told and is really good advice is when mastering your own stuff be as subtle as possible, a good mix can be ruined by heavy handed mastering. try loading a preset in t-racks or whatever and just rolling the settings down a little. it'll still improve your sound but wont effect your mixdown as much.

theres less in mastering than you think, getting a good mixdown is the key.

I disagree that there is less to mastering than you think...its nots that easy or we'd all do it..thing i syou need a good mixdown..you cannot polish a turd.
There are a few good mastering places but it ain;t cheap...for demo's use something like ultramaximiser or similar

proper mastering can be only done in a professional studio anyway, so I just try to do my mixdown as well as possible, but I'm not altering my tunes with limiters and compressors on the master bus or anything. If a tune is not send away for mastering, you can always do some diy mastering of course but I'd rather get my mixdown more tight instead of running any risk.

Agreed mr Grits... I got myself a TC Electronic Finaliser, and it has a "wizard" guide, but it is not as simple as chuck your track through it and magick comes out teh other end. ( if only)
But if you want to play out your finished track at a dance that night , and can't wait for the mastering house, its not bad...

i want to ask: what exactly is mastering?

i know its alot more than limiting, eqing and compressing. but i don't understand what processes go on throughout the final mastering stage. i hear that mistabishi tries to master it slightly himself before it gets to the mastering house (using ozone) so that he can add his stamp and not give the mastering house to much. i've recently got ozone izotope and there is alot of stuff on there, but altering anything past the maximizer seems to sound like shit (purely because of my inexperience at mastering). i wish i could understand this stage of the mixdown process more. any links to help?

cheers

Back
Top Bottom