Possible to mix without headphones?

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by peanut170, Apr 15, 2011.

1. peanut170

peanut170 Member

Saw steve angello of the Swedish house mafia last night, he's doing the size matters tour and he played over 90 min set and didn't use the headphones once. He was on 4 cdj's and never changed CDs ever. So obviously I'm thinking pre-pitched cd or do some use like memory cards? Instead of CDs. Either way isn't that a little blatant to just pre pitch em come out with no headphones on a world tour and just bust it out. I'll admit it was a pretty damn good set but are more people doing this and is it acceptable or am I missing something? He's ranked in the top 20 or something( I know that doesn't mean anything nowadays with all the shabby voting going on) but dudes a huge dj so not just sum mistabishi shit going on, so just curios what others think on this.

2. Ray Sparra

Ray Sparra Member

LtJ Bukem uses in ear or "budphones" as I think there called, so you could probably say he mixes without Headphones, he uses in-ear ones,,

quite unusual for a Dj.

3. Toejam

Toejam OOOBEY DOOBEY

Its totally viable that the guy might be a wizard, like a ninja wizard not exposing the beard and such, just jostleing about being a right crazy ninja wizard but in steath mode

4. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

Sounds credible. I read somewhere he'd had some jedi training...

5. MistaNoize

MistaNoize Mistanoize.com

6. MARKLAR

MARKLAR International Tracksuit Salesman

it is but it wont sound good
    i do it sometimes for fun then get pissed off wen it all goes to shit then i cry

7. peanut170

peanut170 Member

Well apparently it's been brought up before and here's his response.....Im not sure it's possible, but he can't just continue to it show after show a year later after being called out unless there's sum truth to it. Steve Angello's comments was just posted on his twitter:
    I love the fact that ppl don't think I am mixing cause I'm not wearing headphones all the time .. I play 160 gigs a year , and have dj'd for 15 years . Just cause someone is doing something different doesn't mean that its fake .. I think all of u who think so should stop being such haters and come see for yourself .. I play the same records everyday I don't need to listen to what I do .. Its my party trick and respect that instead of hating on it . If u doubt it come in the both or try do it yourself before u judge !! Ok .. Nuff said .. SA
    For all you ppl out there who wanna know how its done .. Lemme tell u .., dj for 5 hours a day for 10 years. When you have done that .. Start touring , playing 4-6 gigs a week for another 5 years... After that try play on the CDj's. U see the BPM on the right side of the display , u have a pitch and easy way to count the BPM is by looking on the cd u gonna mix in , if 1 bpm is the dif just adjust the pitch to +0.8 or -0.8 depending on if its slower or faster .. After that 0.8 either way is one BPM. So 1.6 is 2 , 2.4 is 3 , 3.20 is 4 and 4 is 5. Ok .. Learn the trax u play and enjoy.
    OMG I can't believe I care about haters.. But u know what when you work your ass off and ppl accuse you for being fake. U get upset ..

8. PostmanPat

PostmanPat I'll cum in your arse.

I thought 1 BPM was 0.6?

9. wingz

wingz everyones fav austrian

10. Dagz

Dagz Well-Known Member

I've seen him lots of times and yeh he looks like he's using his ipod earphones or something, Ltj Buken makes me laff he's such a fashion statement but he is cool

11. Teddy

Teddy 60% Staff Member

can u have the headphones output going to the dj monitors only? that could work

12. st420

st420 Member

even if you know the exact BPM though you'd still need to hear that the beats are locked before bringing in the tune.

13. DOOVD

DOOVD Member

Pitch % = (BPM Tune 1 - BPM Tune 2) / (BPM Tune 1) *100

I ve all the BPM's for my tunes which makes mixing easier and quicker

14. TheGambit

TheGambit Member

Yes you can mix without headphones , it depends on your selection really and how fast you are with the pitch.

That's how I kinda learnt to mix in the first place!

15. mr meh

mr meh Well-Known Member

i dont really use my headphones much but i mix using software

just read the waveforms

16. hardmode

hardmode Member

think its doable with laptop although if you dj as much as steve angello you probally can do it also :D

17. Freek

Freek Lets get freeeeeeky

if he plays a set full of tunes which are the same bpm (which lets be honest they probably are) then i guess its possible but very lazy/boring even if it is on 4 deck :S

18. hazdaman100

hazdaman100 Bum 'n Face

He sounds like a whining crying little bitch! Andy c still uses headphones, and he has been in the game for just as long. If headphones are good enough for him, then they are good enough for me!

19. Ray Sparra

Ray Sparra Member

you could technically mix off the monitor system in a club if you set it up properly, but I've never heard of anyone doing it, and if you brought the tune in on a low volume and got in the mix quickly i.e in about 5 seconds, you wouldn't need headphones, but headphones are the most sensible way to do it obviously, I when am at home I mix in my headphones and record mixes that way, so I do a backwards thing to what your talking about, I mix without speakers, but you couldn't do that in a club for obvious reasons.

20. hazdaman100

hazdaman100 Bum 'n Face

I often do this too, to avoid pissing the neighbours off late at night when I like to get fully stuck in