Portable Recorders...

ARTFX

Artist, sound designer and tutor
VIP Junglist
So yeahh I have been contacting game and film companies for the last two weeks, I want to start doing more real sound design stuff. I've been working on my new website to go with it, with lot's of new stuff coming up. Now I want to buy a nice portable recorder to start doing field recordings (machines, ambiences, effects, crowds, etc.). I have been looking at some of the Tascam recorders and I really like the Tascam DR-2D but maybe it's more worth the money to take the more expensive DR-100 which also supports four mics and two XLR inputs. Other option will be the Zoom H2n, which supports mid/side recordings.

Things that I would like to have on it:
- Speaker for playing back
- Good recordings in the low end
- Wind shield would be great!

Now maybe anyone of you knows another one that might be worth a shot. :D

Offtopic: my new website will feature all new things such as tutorials about audio, design and video. Now trying to get me some sponsored software packages and plugins to start doing the tutorials with.

I bought a Zoom H4n, I'm very pleased with the sound quality and its features. The wind shield that it comes with is poor, so you'd be better off purchasing a new one.

having fiddled about with most on the market i found the zooms to be a little unintuitive in terms of the layout. the dr100 was my fav but the dr05/7 are still great value for money.

I'd say if your going to make good use of it get a dr100 because it'll give you the best results. if your just messing about then anythings fine.

I would agree with you. The Zoom's interface to access certain features is really quite confusing, but to be honest I only want this for recording outside. So for that it's a piece o' piss to use... Point, adjust levels and hit the record button - job done. :)

I got the M-Audio Multitrack 2, entry level but easy to use and i process my recordings further anyway.

Okay so I went out today and got the Tascam DR-2D, damn this thing feels solid. Nice metal housing and very light! So I did a beatbox recording 16-bit / 96kHz and it sounds very good!

I've only ever used a portable recorder once and couldn't name it for the life of me. All I remember is it was a box with one of those long mics covered in foam they use when recording audio for video - news reports etc...what do they call them again?

Anyway, clarity seemed to be pretty fantastic and we had no trouble with wind whatsoever. If you do end up suffering, maybe you could bodge some material over it to act as a wind guard. Just a thought of course, this is pretty much just a senseless ramble...

Back
Top Bottom