Politics in DnB? Lame.

I'm hearing more and more from DJ's of other genres or just promoters that they really dislike dnb dj's, and the fans in general. Do we really have an eletist overtone to us. Even if our music is better than everything else, do we exude self proclaimed musical superiority? Are we really THAT lame? I do know one particularly successful promoter from the area who seemingly only has bad things to say about dnb dj's and generally doesn't want to book them ever except for the fact that his fans usually want to see some dnb, so he sticks them in a side room far away from everyone else.

One story of his particularly goes. "Well, I book these DJ's and we both have an understanding before the gig. "This is what you'll be getting paid and this is what time you'll go on". Then he goes on to say, on the day of, or several hours before, they'll want a primtimespot (aka 12ish) and they want more money, or they try to change one or the other at the last minute."

Maybe i'm crazy but when I do actually start playing music out on a regular basis, I don't think i'll care when I play, what I get (unless i'm promised something beforehand) and who's there listening. Do DJ's get so comfortable with their talent that they just become demanding douche bags the further their career goes. Is it so easy to lose sight of the fact that DnB owns to the 5millionth power and that if nothing else, just play out for the sheer enjoyment of it, or maybe i'm just in it for the wrong reasons.

If i'm making lame points, and have a different belief from everyone else in the scene, let me know because I don't want to come off as someone who's just trying to mix it up. I'm just curious as to why most of the other "ravers" or club heads like to bash junglists, it's carazy. I don't even want to share my disagreements with the politics behind when and how music is released, not that I forsee that changing ever, or at least for a long time.

surely they'll have contracts with set times and fee's specified in them?

Well, Not that i know of. but that would make more sense, it'd just suck to have to go through all that just to get a dj to play for one of your events. But from what i understand, there were no contracts and such involved.

I get dirty looks on the way to raves because I obviously look like a "typical" D&B head to the people that see me.
I don't see this at all but they just associate D&B with drugs I think (& all raving as far as I'm concerned)
People do "bash" junglists yeah, but I don't know why.
There is more trouble at D&B events but it's usually in areas that are quite rough isn't it? Or particularly rough crowds?

I don't think that our music deserves this repuation.

I get dirty looks on the way to raves because I obviously look like a "typical" D&B head to the people that see me.
I don't see this at all but they just associate D&B with drugs I think (& all raving as far as I'm concerned)
People do "bash" junglists yeah, but I don't know why.
There is more trouble at D&B events but it's usually in areas that are quite rough isn't it? Or particularly rough crowds?

I don't think that our music deserves this repuation.

Pff, me either. They associate DnB with drugs? Thats crazy, Iassociate dnb with marijuana, sure but anything else..not so much. People hate on junglists because most of them ARE eletists though, I know it, but it's no reason for the horrible reputation we get. Jungle/DnB imho, is the farthest on the electronic music spectrom than anything else, and I think it distinguishes us from most of the other techno heads, i think they see this as us thinking we're better than everyone else. It's just that our music is better than everyone else's :gslayer:

I feel that its the promoters fault half of the time. They charge $25 to $75 just to go to the clubs/raves, pack the venues full of people, charge crazy amounts for drinks and their still not satisfied. They want to play for free or they low ball you and pay you some shity ass fee to spin when their making loot on the event. When i first started playing out i didnt mind not getting paid because it was more of a personal satisfaction for me but when promoters frequently book you and make you a resident for there clubs then i feel that you should get paid. I think that they should pay the dj's simply out of respect. Its the dj's talent and name that brought all those people to the event not the promoters. Its kinda like a kick to the nuts.(n)

DNB and JUNGLE has always represented the more urban, tougher sides to life. Growing up in estates with no money, drugs, gangsters and trying to crawl out of the curb. It therefore attracts people from these walks of life. That also means that dnb is likely to have a more unsavoury following than trance or hard house. Thats not to say that most dnb ravers are usually sound.
The way heavy metal attracts more attitudy people, so does dnb. Its expression for ravers with attitude and aggression. People frown on metallers coz they smoke weed and thrash about aggressively at gigs. People who can express themselves are frightning to people who can't.
You are right, people associate ravers with drugs...... most of us ravers take drugs. It's never gonna be an admirable thing to do. Even though people who drink are ten times more unpredictable and violent.

well if other genres dont take kindly to dnb heads thats their problem!
but if ya read sum threads in this forum sum dnb heads dont take kindly to other genres!
its always gonna happen but who really is that bothered!:rolf:

this thread does not represent the scene in the UK im afraid!

big djs are booked thru agencies which detail when, what time and what price within a contract with the promoter payin upfront and the dj turnin up. if the dj dont turn up, the promoters get a refund or/and discount on next booking.

I have never seen any trouble at a dnb rave in the UK and ive been to some of the roughest areas in the country. Ive seen more trouble at cheesy hardcore raves and in pubs.

As for drugs, theyre everywhere, in every music scene. Not just DnB!

big djs are booked thru agencies which detail when, what time and what price within a contract with the promoter payin upfront and the dj turnin up. if the dj dont turn up, the promoters get a refund or/and discount on next booking.

I have never seen any trouble at a dnb rave in the UK and ive been to some of the roughest areas in the country. Ive seen more trouble at cheesy hardcore raves and in pubs.

Well i figured the uk would be better about dnb than america. People always hatin for no reasons these days.

Most UK dnb events I've been to have some "moody" headz who scowl at you, try to appear hard, and get pissy if you bump into them by accident. That's a big complaint of some people I've talked to in the hard dance/trace scene. A lot of them don't like dnb and vice versa. I think DnB is the most diverse/evolved and all around best electronic genre. I'm not surprised that it attracts some thug types 'cause a lot of it's heavy as fook.

you really don't know what you're talking about do you... i've seen some bad fights and rucks at raves

you really don't know what you're talking about do you... i've seen some bad fights and rucks at raves

Yeah so have I, I've been to alot of raves as well.

As for drugs, yeah they're part of every rave scene but as I'm not part of any other rave scene than D&B, I only know about this one & from my point of view, other young people automatically look at me as some dutty druggy when I say I'm into D&B and go raving.

As for the moody people at raves, I've sometimes been grabbed at raves by blokes just wanting a feel or whatever & I have to tell them to fuck off.

I'm hearing more and more from DJ's of other genres or just promoters that they really dislike dnb dj's, and the fans in general. Do we really have an eletist overtone to us. Even if our music is better than everything else, do we exude self proclaimed musical superiority? Are we really THAT lame? I do know one particularly successful promoter from the area who seemingly only has bad things to say about dnb dj's and generally doesn't want to book them ever except for the fact that his fans usually want to see some dnb, so he sticks them in a side room far away from everyone else.

One story of his particularly goes. "Well, I book these DJ's and we both have an understanding before the gig. "This is what you'll be getting paid and this is what time you'll go on". Then he goes on to say, on the day of, or several hours before, they'll want a primtimespot (aka 12ish) and they want more money, or they try to change one or the other at the last minute."

Maybe i'm crazy but when I do actually start playing music out on a regular basis, I don't think i'll care when I play, what I get (unless i'm promised something beforehand) and who's there listening. Do DJ's get so comfortable with their talent that they just become demanding douche bags the further their career goes. Is it so easy to lose sight of the fact that DnB owns to the 5millionth power and that if nothing else, just play out for the sheer enjoyment of it, or maybe i'm just in it for the wrong reasons.

If i'm making lame points, and have a different belief from everyone else in the scene, let me know because I don't want to come off as someone who's just trying to mix it up. I'm just curious as to why most of the other "ravers" or club heads like to bash junglists, it's carazy. I don't even want to share my disagreements with the politics behind when and how music is released, not that I forsee that changing ever, or at least for a long time.

Well.... its the promoters fault for not getting a contract written up..... if there is no contract then any thing goes.

The whole thing about DnB being above everyone is right!!! coz we are the best!! why settle for anything less?? hahaha.

In the end of the day... take a look at other music genres scenes..... they arent as organised and they definately arent as "Family" like as DnB.......

Back
Top Bottom