PLZ Help...

Luket08

Im 16 Leaving School in a Couple Of weeks, i have nothing lined up like a course at college or staying on at 6th form, ive alwais wanted a career within drum n bass but i was wondering what courses would be best for this and where could i start looking at a career within this relegion of drum n bas that everyone calls music :P ;) thanks

there are a lot of colleges for music which are the same level as sixth form except for music (free until your 19). get your self on a music production course

get yourself some production software, a pair of monitors, some decks and get on a music course at a college

sorted

Just always consider how difficult it is to carve out a career in music, ask yourself if your really up for it, and do you really have the ability and dedication required? It's not a walk in the park

Luckily your still very young so plenty of time to decide what your doing, but trust me youl hit 20 in no time and by then you better start to have a good plan, and good tools (qualifications) to carry out that plan

Just don't spend the next 4 years "working on a couple tunes" in your bedroom without either getting really serious about it or having something else productive on the side which could lead to a career

Coz if all your doing is music, then that's your only current route to a career, so if your gonna do it, do it propli, coz it's not gonna be easy at all to really make something out of it

Just always consider how difficult it is to carve out a career in music, ask yourself if your really up for it, and do you really have the ability and dedication required? It's not a walk in the park

Luckily your still very young so plenty of time to decide what your doing, but trust me youl hit 20 in no time and by then you better start to have a good plan, and good tools (qualifications) to carry out that plan

Just don't spend the next 4 years "working on a couple tunes" in your bedroom without either getting really serious about it or having something else productive on the side which could lead to a career

Coz if all your doing is music, then that's your only current route to a career, so if your gonna do it, do it propli, coz it's not gonna be easy at all to really make something out of it

Well said. I reckon you should keep production on the side and do something that can guarantee you a career cos at the end of the day its all about the money when u get older and loads of people fail to be a producer. Dont give it up though! You can always still be a producer with more years of practice and maybe get lucky

Well said. I reckon you should keep production on the side and do something that can guarantee you a career cos at the end of the day its all about the money when u get older and loads of people fail to be a producer. Dont give it up though! You can always still be a producer with more years of practice and maybe get lucky

Yes.

I'm finishing my second year at Essex University doing a degree in Marketing & Innovation (braps)

But I also spend a lot of time producing and mixing drum and bass, every single day, and if you can strike a nice balance it works really well, I'm not overly committed to anything just yet, and by doing both I've kept my options open

By the end of the Summer after I finish my degree next year, I HOPE to possibly be getting somewhere with this whole music thing

But hey, if I'm not, I just got a fucking degree! So it's off to work or whatever lol ... and carry on with the music on the side, same as it's been for the last 2 years at uni :)

And who knows, maybe the music thing will work out a couple more years down the line :)

yhyh i no wot ur sayin at least some ppl talk sense on this forum, yh well im gonna persure a careerin engineering aswell which is 2 days a week so with the other 3 i was finkin about getting onto a music coursee

yhyh i no wot ur sayin at least some ppl talk sense on this forum, yh well im gonna persure a careerin engineering aswell which is 2 days a week so with the other 3 i was finkin about getting onto a music coursee

If you get qualified as an engineer you're basically set for life mate, good choice if you can see it through. As for music courses, anything with the title "Music Production" or "Creative Music Technology" or something along those lines would be appropriate for what you want to do.

yer u said u wanna career in dnb but after reading the all the posts realised that u wanna be a producer and engineer...

u have to decide what u wanna do as a career in dnb

main options are : Promoting (putting on events)
Producing (making tunes!)
DJ (playing tunes)
Studio Enginerr (making tunes sound phat!)
Management (artist, label, website, club...)
Graphic Design (sleeves, flyers...)

theres an avenue to go down for almost anything that you feel ur good at even if its nothing to do with making music.

i lean more towards the djing and live performance side of things so i have been putting on parties since i started listening to dnb at 16. started with house parties n then small raves etc... i've made some valuble contacts in promoting mainly thru this forum and i now dj and promote for events all over london including fabric, herbal, se one, cafe 1001 etc...

i have alsways taken a keen interest in production but not as a major thing... sumthing i spend i couple of nights a week doing but im not in a major rush to get signed like some people u see. more as a hobby n sumthing i enjoy than a view to a career.

I am gonna study Commercial Music @ Westminster Uni in Oct which is a course split into 3 parts : Music Business , Music Production , Music Sociology. As i understand it they do a foundation course in music production there so if u wanna move to london and be a student that cud be an option. I'm hoping to move into a career in the business side of things when i leave but thats just me.

I think its good to have direction and it seems alot of poeople here have high ambitions with what they wanna do and arnt affraid to work for it. These are the people that drive the scene and keep it alive so uve done well to join this forum matey. good luck with woteva u go on to do.

Live long n prosper!

if your gunna do engineering only do electrical if your good at maths. im an electrical engineer n thought i was gunna be a electricain till the 1st day of mi apprenticeship n its well harder proper technical and im doin uni level maths at college which is a reet blag.

on the other hand mechanical just requires you to be good at using tools and being precise with your work but there is a lot of mechanical engineers about get in2 machining if your gunna do mechanical CNC machining n milling n turning rather than just being a fitter

Back
Top Bottom