PLUG IN for subs

Dubsta

VIP Junglist
Anyone recommend good plug ins for making nice subs..... Im using logic, and yes i know i can use the built in plugins, but want to delve a bit deeper. And not massive please.

You don't need a special plugin for subs. Subs are best kept really simple. The most complicated thing you're going to want to do to your sub is distort it and low pass it, which doesn't need any special software.

Rob Papen SubBoomBass? I've never used it but I'm guessing from the name it focuses on making subs.

distort it and low pass it

Oh yes, works wonders. I personally use tube emulation, like the warmth it gives. P&P Analoger in use here.

Though many built-in softsynths have poor quality waves in them which can be heard when you compress the **** out of these synths. More quality synths produce cleaner signal and can be processed more if necessary.

My go-to is Massive with sin/square wave, is nice.

If you're using Logic, the default sound on the EXS24 is all you need (pure sine). Transpose to -12, adjust the Amp Env to taste and save it as a preset.

Pretty much been said here already, any synth will do the same thing really. As for plugins again use anything. There aren't really any specific to making subs

I'm using Alchemy more and more for making subs that have a lot of movement. Additive is the way forward with subs IMO. A touch of FM can also be helpful.
I also use fab filter Saturn on subs to add a touch of saturation

yeah i've tried Rob Papen's subboombass demo and sounds pretty deep. Also check out all synths from him: Blue, Blue II (impressive sound), Albino, Predator, etc etc.

[h=1]RP SubBoomBass Getting started[/h]

Last edited by a moderator:
ES2 is an insanely powerful synth in Logic man, also very under rated, learning how to use it you can get some really good sounds. Especially subs, lots of modulation possibilities.

ESX24 is also really good too.

Essentially you want a sine wave as your sub man, that's where all the power of the bass comes from.

Yeah the ES2 is decent. I spent some time learning the ins and of it. I read the PDF manual for it so I could learn what each parameter actually does. Even though I have some decent synths I often find myself going back to it.

Anything with sub frequencies filtered and accentuated with resonance and envelopes.

The init patch from fm8 works well. Or otherwise massive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I agree. Anything from the Papen range of synths.

Plus. Try taking a few milliseconds / seconds from a subby sample. Loop and filter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait. Don't we all make a simple sine wave for our subs, distort it and lowpass it?
If this is true, then does it really matter what synth you're using? I mean, wouldn't the quality of the distortion fx you are using be more important than the synth itself?

Wait. Don't we all make a simple sine wave for our subs, distort it and lowpass it?
If this is true, then does it really matter what synth you're using? I mean, wouldn't the quality of the distortion fx you are using be more important than the synth itself?

Yes and no, but I find both fm8 and the surge to have very warm sounding sine waves right out of the box, compared to massive.

Yes and no, but I find both fm8 and the surge to have very warm sounding sine waves right out of the box, compared to massive.

Well, I haven't tried FM8 and don't have surge, but I already made a comparison between massive and 3xOsc (FL user, of course), and both had pretty much the same "results" in quality of the tone.

Back
Top Bottom