Please Help Me Make Dark Minimal Bass Noises

T:M

Dusty Techno Workout
VIP Junglist
Hi all, I was wondering if you could help me make this dark minimal bass sound that is appearing in a lot of autonomic, dnb, and deeper dubstep tracks that I'm listening to at the moment.

The sound I'm speaking of (or variations of it) is found in: Icicle - Minimal Funk/Dub, Noisia & Alix Perez - Underprint (at the end of every 4 bars after the drop), Skream - Motorway, Genotype - Further Searching, and Kryptic Minds & Youngsta - Cold Blooded to name a few. (Click the name to hear the track).

It's that techy, dark, spacy (sometimes reverbed) sound and it's probably been answered somewhere on this board at least once but putting the words "minimal", "dark", and "bass" into the forum search on a Drum & Bass forum results in a nightmare of results as you can imagine.

I'm certain that it's a easier then I'm making it, but I just don't know where to start. I'm not sure if it starts as reece or not. I know it probably involves a slowish attack and some LFO somewhere as well as some clever automation. Any help you can give me would be great.

A general description would be best, but if you need to know my software I run Logic. Also don't have Massive, but I do have Absynth if that helps.

Computer Music magazine had a nice interview with Icicle where he explains how he makes some bass patches. Definitely check it out.

check the sick bassline sticky, follow tutorial and watch icicles own vid about it, im sure youll come up with something. im telling you, those tutorials opened up a whole new world for me.

Computer Music magazine had a nice interview with Icicle where he explains how he makes some bass patches. Definitely check it out.

check the sick bassline sticky, follow tutorial and watch icicles own vid about it, im sure youll come up with something. im telling you, those tutorials opened up a whole new world for me.

Cheers guys! Was at my local bookstore yesterday and ran into a copy of the "Dubstep vs. Drum & Bass" Computer Music magazine. Over here we get them kinda late, pretty sure it came out a month or two ago over there. Anyways I was flipping through and spazzed out when I found the Icicle tutorial. I've followed it as close as I can given that I don't have all the same plug ins but I've got some pretty wicked things out of it, although it is kind of tricky to control... And of course in typical producer fashion while learning to create one kick ass sound I found another!

I must agree logikz it has opened a new world for me too, I usually don't like to use freq-splitting (mostly because I'm lazy) but I think this tutorial has really opened my eyes to what can be achieved.

Also if anyone wants me to post my process to get the sound or a sample of it I would be glad to do so.

Back
Top Bottom