Please HELP! MacBook Pro with 15-inch Retina Display: which one should I buy??

Discussion in 'Production' started by Viccc, May 19, 2015.

1. Viccc

Viccc New Member

As an aspiring music producer, I decided to buy a MacBook Pro with 15-inch Retina Display (since it’s the only MacBook with 16GB RAM), but I see there are two models. The differences between them are:

1) The processor (but I don’t think the user would be able to perceive any difference in speed because of this, do you agree??

2) Storage: 256GB versus 512GB (!!)

I think storage is the only significant difference. But the option with more capacity is way more expensive.

Since I don’t think 256GB is enough to manage my music, should I buy the 256GB option and also buy an external drive, or do you think the 512GB option is worth the price?

Will I have any potential risks with an external drive? (I never used MacBook before).

Thank you so much!

2. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Started using Kontakt recently and it fully advises using an external for the samples so yeh, keep all your samples on an external (plus a backup hhd) and you'll be sweet (y)

3. Strobys

Strobys Member

I aggree on the external hard drive... By the way, if u buy one, be sure u buy one that doesn't need an electric plug! Just take a usb hard drive, much easier to work with :)

4. Dark Lizardro

Dark Lizardro The Lizard that has a hammer Staff Member

IMO, don't buy a over priced computer just because it has a bitten apple as it's logo.

5. Strobys

Strobys Member

^yup, if u can build your own computer (there are plenty of tutorials how to do it), you can have yourself a really legit computer for about 700-900€. Only disadvantage is: u cant go on location to dj with it :3

Edit (external harddrive already included in price)

6. Gloxxy

Gloxxy I SNORT COAL

I think the reason for him getting a laptop is portability while making music.

The processor difference will be an Intel i5 with the 256GB SSD model and an Intel i7 with the 512GB model. The price difference between the 2 models does not warrant the performance jump of the specs.

The 256GB version will be more than enough for your music making needs. You can pick up a 2TB external hard drive for about £60 now so sample/VST storage won't be a problem.

You'll be looking at paying around £1200 - 1300 for the model you want which would get you a top of the range blistering fast windows laptop.

Do you need to buy a Mac? Are you going to use Logic as your DAW?

Dark Lizardro likes this.
  7. Dark Lizardro

Dark Lizardro The Lizard that has a hammer Staff Member

Not saying it, but may be because Skrillex.

8. mugatu

mugatu Verva Music

9. mugatu

mugatu Verva Music

The bigger screen is well worth the extra price

10. Sulihin

Sulihin Active Member

a 17" non-retina will have lower resolution than a 15" retina, though. Granted, some people dislike high resolution with a smaller screen.

11. oskar stine

oskar stine New Member

i have the 13 inch with retna display, 512 gb and it works perfectly for making music, it can handle about 200 tracks mabye more in ableton, depending on what synths and plug ins your using before it starts to get laggy, so thats pretty good cause no one needs more than 200 tracks in a daw. but if you use FL studio, just stick to windows.

12. Interruptor

Interruptor Member

15 inch retina w/ 2,5ghz i7 / 512gt ssd here. No problems whatsoever. Running Pro Tools (multitracking / mixing) & getting Logic soon with no problems. And yeah since Komplete requires like 250gb of space, an external HDD wouldnt be bad.

To the "Dont get an overpriced machine with an apple logo" debate, I have had PC machines and still do, and wanted to have an highend Apple for its stability and I am very satisfied with this. I also love my Windows machine and will keep it up to date hardware-wise aswell.

13. TinnitusD&B

TinnitusD&B Member

I have two Macs. Both were bought second hand (refurbished). Both of them were bought in perfect condition and both were massively upgraded compared to the original models. My Macbook Pro has twice the ram and more memory for £500 less and my iMac had twice the power/ram/storage of a new model. Look into refurbs first as mine saved me plenty and perform excellently. I can't recommend this option enough!

14. changerltd

changerltd Member

Don't get the retina version there near on impossible to upgrade and repair if anything goes wrong