Playing out....

dj_akuma

How much of an arse is it playing out these days? I find myself torn to pieces on what to play....theres what you think the crowd want you to play, what you want to play, what the crowd ACTUALLY wants you to play, plus you have current opinions of peers (DJs/MCs/promotors) on what is good at the moment...
i've always been one to try to aim for something different ( i don't mean paradox or alpha omega tho!! ) ....play a selection of soulful, dark, funky, old, new, bizarre, but am finding things difficult at the moment as all people seem to want is the latest hard straight down the line releases..... last week the only thing which seemed to have any discernible effect on the place was T-minus 10 which was rinsed by a couple of DJs but i expect if thats played in 2 weeks time it will be greeted with the same simple contentment as the other batch of todays tunes do... i'm curious as to what scope of tunes others play and if the people in other areas are in to the same old shit?:rolleyes:

PLAY WHATEVER YOU WANT MAN.
As long as youre feeling what your playing yourself, then the crowd will be feeling it too.
There are too many dj's who just seem to play the same set... For example i got in 2 demo cds this week, from 2 unrelated people, one in brighton and one in salisbury and they both had pretty much the same tunes on in different orders....bogus.
I know there are some big tunes which you have to play, but you can fill your set up with something different or older.
Having said that, if youve got the latest tunes you wanna rinse 'em......catch 22 i reckon.

yeah...i know what your saying the old 'play what you want' addage but what i want is for the crowd to both enjoy themselves and hear something a little different and its been increasingly hard to do it recently....i do agree with you mentioning the catch 22 situation....people who are just d'n'b punters always come to me and say 'i'm fed up of the same old hard and dark bollocks everyone plays' yet the only time you see them brocking out is when theres some silly banging drop to a monster tune :slayer: .....i'd like some way of getting more communication between various people involved in a d'n'b night 'cos there ain't enuff at the moment....:sleep:

Back
Top Bottom