DnB Playing out

Exide

Hi
I'm new to the forum and was hoping people could give advice on how to get your name out there. I haven't produced any tunes yet but confident with mixing and want to know the best way to go about finding places to mix etc. Live in london so I know theres loads of places that host dnb nights but don't know who to contact to send mixes to etc.

Any advice would really help.

Some tips mate, I am starting to get sets at places too, been producing a few years, mixing 2, been a junglist for the last 6-7 years.

1. Network : add event promoters and get prepared to do some serious arse licking, your nose will be brown but worth it.

2. Mix: record a mix that indicates your skills best, good selection and tight mixing is key.

3. Be Prepared to start at the bottom: you will play to fuck all people to start off with, but it will get better trust.

4. Keep At It: after a while, word will carry that you are playing big sets and when you send mixes, people will know who you are :)

ive by no means got far, I play out twice a month sometimes more, but thats a few tips for you man :)

Last edited:
Try get a pirate radio show or an online slot to get the whole 'live' feel. Good way to meet other people which always leads to stuff. Good for the confidence aswel.

- Do monthly mixes
- Dabble with production. These days you'll usually need your own tunes under your belt to get bookings. Of course, you can still get your name out there without having your own productions, but having your own tracks to back you up really helps.

Go to the nights you wanna play and try to get to know the promoter, just make him see that you are attending regularly and say hi and try to speak to him. After a while you can mention that you are a dj yourself and would love to play a warm up set sometime. Just send him one of your best Promomixes then and hope for the best.

onnections are very helpful, just try to talk to as many people as possible, get the name out there, get to know the promoters and just always be friendly (not ass kissing, but friendly). If you are persistent and friendly things are bound to go somewhere (assuming you are a good dj)

Some good advice here, on the production side of things any tips on that? I tried using Reason some years ago spent time watching tutorials and books but gave up I just couldn't get into it. I really enjoy music, understand the general structure to a tune etc but just couldn't dedicate my time to it I found it boring as I couldn't put my 'ideas' into the program if that makes sense.

^^ I feel the same about production. Came to the conclusion I don't have the patience for it. So now I just mix for fun :)

Ever since I was about 14 I always wanted to get into production but things are so technical now and people's production is so sick it would be hard to stand out, let alone learn as much as they do about music production. Someone like Break for example, when you listen to one of his tracks, the level that he's at is crazy.

Within the past few months I have come to the conclusion that fuck it, it is worth it! Can't wait to finish exams so I can start learning the basics. All you need nowadays is a midi keyboard, a good computer with decent software and some good monitors.

Ever since I was about 14 I always wanted to get into production but things are so technical now and people's production is so sick it would be hard to stand out, let alone learn as much as they do about music production. Someone like Break for example, when you listen to one of his tracks, the level that he's at is crazy.

Within the past few months I have come to the conclusion that fuck it, it is worth it! Can't wait to finish exams so I can start learning the basics. All you need nowadays is a midi keyboard, a good computer with decent software and some good monitors.

and a strict regime!

This. keep at it, you will get somewhere eventually :)

Thanks for all the replies people. I already know a couple of promoters but the nights they do tend to be more house/dubstep and any dnb played is more mainstream where as I'm more into techy/minimal/dark but hopefully they will point me in the right direction and get my name around.
Any more ideas, keep them coming but for now this is a great starting point so thanks!

Take a cd rather than give them a link to a download, I read as advice somewhere. It might depend on the promoter though I guess. Maybe take a cd and you can ask them which is better for them?

Back
Top Bottom