Playing Out To A Non-DNB Crowd

Alexi

Drench Audio
VIP Junglist
I've got a set down at a bar tonight, midnight slot.

And I've just spoke to my mate who's down there already and he says that everyone seem to react much better to what I'd call pop music than any electronic/dance stuff.

I know it's a bit late to change anything tonight but was looking for your advice if I have to play to similar crowds in the future.

Problem is pretty much all my records are DNB, the only thing I can think of is to play out bootlegs I've got like Mickey Finn's dub of Yeah, Kick Push (heist remix) etc and the DNB remixes like DC Breaks - Pass Out & Dexcell - Starry Eyed.

Obviously I'm not going to play anything too far from the DNB mainstream, but anyone got any other advice?

Cheers

have you got anything like hit the road jack bootleg or pop song remixes - if you have any dubstep there's a lot of dubstep pop remixes. Basically nothing that doesn;t have a sing-along part in it is all i can reccomend...

Try and play more mainstream songs, songs that were super popular in 2009 and stuff

You know those big hits we are all getting a little tired of hearing but people who aren't too familiar with the scene still know and love to death

La Roux - In For The Kill ( Nero dubstep remix )
very good dubstep tune,everybody know La Roux

this is fucked up situation.... if you dont have too much money to spend on new mainstream vinyls just play things like Sub Focus - Rock It,CHase & Status and other possitive vibed dnb with vocals... no technical itch,panacea or high roller... breakcore like perkusions,nightmare vibes and wobble that is basicly concentrated dirt will make crown go berzerk in not dancefloor way

your best bet is definately mainstream dnb songs ie, chase and status - take me away, hurt you etc. sub focus - timewarp, rock it etc, also bodyrock always gets dropped at pop clubs so if u got that im sure the crowd will like it. tbh your in a good situation, do a good set and they might ask u back regularly, then you can gradually bring in the real dnb tunes with each set you do and the crowd will love it anyways. dont worry too much to throw the odd promo in here n there im sure the crowd will go ape!!

La Roux - In For The Kill ( Nero dubstep remix )
very good dubstep tune,everybody know La Roux

this is fucked up situation.... if you dont have too much money to spend on new mainstream vinyls just play things like Sub Focus - Rock It,CHase & Status and other possitive vibed dnb with vocals... no technical itch,panacea or high roller... breakcore like perkusions,nightmare vibes and wobble that is basicly concentrated dirt will make crown go berzerk in not dancefloor way

*Skream remix

La Roux - Im Not Your Toy (Nero Remix) BANGER!
UNKNOWN - Dancing In The Dark (Dubstep Refix) BANGER!

your best bet is definately mainstream dnb songs ie, chase and status - take me away, hurt you etc. sub focus - timewarp, rock it etc, also bodyrock always gets dropped at pop clubs so if u got that im sure the crowd will like it. tbh your in a good situation, do a good set and they might ask u back regularly, then you can gradually bring in the real dnb tunes with each set you do and the crowd will love it anyways. dont worry too much to throw the odd promo in here n there im sure the crowd will go ape!!

It's true, it gives you an opportunity to sneak in some crazy bangers that no one has heard before

Just play Chase & Status, Sub Focus, Pendulum, and all of the High Contrast remixes of mainstream jizz.

Oh, and liquid will go down better than jump up, slip Alix Perez - Contradictions in there too :D

UNKNOWN - Dancing In The Dark (Dubstep Refix) BANGER!

Are you talking about: Proxy - Dancing In The Dark [OlliE! & Bare Noize VIP]?

Bangin' tune, but I think it may be a bit too hard for a mainstream crowd that usually listens to pop.

---------- Post added at 10:41 ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 ----------

Oh, and liquid will go down better than jump up

This is true. Many of my friends don't listen to almost any underground genre, but a lot I get a lot of head turns and inquiries from them when I play liquid tracks like Netsky - Eyes Closed, I would think as long as it isn't to hard and the track moves along you'd be in the clear. Liquid & Mainstream dancefloor DnB are probably your best bet. Plenty of good stuff out there to chose from.

Last edited by a moderator:
cheers for the advice, i'll keep it in mind for next time

as for last night I ended up doing a b2b set with one of the other djs, and he had a fair few of those rihanna, la roux type artists remixes.

played pretty standard sub focus, high contast, even turned back the years with stuff off hold your colour

was all going well, until, due to my mates unorganised cds, played some maztek that was labelled as commix.

so after that thought fuck it, and went off on a neuro tip, everyone was pissed by that point and went along with it, so s'all good

---------- Post added at 20:31 ---------- Previous post was at 20:28 ----------

o yeah, and smarty, the remix went down really well with the female section of the crowd

dropped it with halogen, which I thought could be hit or miss when cueing it up, but sounded sick, if I do say so myself

o yeah, and smarty, the remix went down really well with the female section of the crowd

dropped it with halogen, which I thought could be hit or miss when cueing it up, but sounded sick, if I do say so myself

Sweet :) It goes well with "Smooth" by Subfocus btw

feel bad for me, i'm so strapped for cash right now I am doing this dinner party/discoteque for like a group of over-40s. Just can't wait for the fake "oh so you're the Dj, well how terribly exciting darling" but on the bright side I'm gettin PAID!!!! and just so there's no confusion read the word paid as if you were an american gangsta rapper

Back
Top Bottom