Playing out for the first time

DJNitrousUK

VIP Junglist
I searched for threads, went through quite a few pages but couldn't find any.

Right so I've been asked to play 1 or 2 sets at a festival in August, but i'm shitting it.

I know to start off with no Double dropping or crazy shit etc and just do long blends and ease into the other stuff.

Any other advice peeps?

Cheers.

Had my first on thursday night mate..

All i can say is DONT WORRY!!! be confident!!! if you think you will fuck up it will effect your mixing.. Just be calm and confident and think 'fuck it, im gunna smash it!!!' and you most likely will (as long as you have talent, which we know you do!)

And of course dont get ratarsed before your set! a pint or 2 after a reefer seems to go down well for me though but im sure its different for everyone..

But yeah dont worry about it bro, im sure you will smash it!

Cheers for the advice bro.

Btw:

A- I might be the only D&B repper there! Coz it's my bro and his mates' festival, and they're all House/Electro/Techno people!

B - way out of your way, Norfolk man!

ive only ever played partys an stuff but all i can say is wat muzza did just be confident an above all enjoy urself.
plus i find mixin in for a crowd or watever u usually do better than wen ur on ur own an shit.
anyway hope it goes well man!

it may seem obvious, but get a set prepared before hand, or at least the "skeleton" then you can kinda get a feel for what type of tunes people are feeling and work with that as well. safe one, i hope it goes swimmingly.

the first 10 mins is the hardest, when ya get ya first few mixes out the way and ya gettin confident on the set up u wil forget bout were ya are and jus get in the mix an start enjoyin it....u will be find bro.

the only thing i'm worried about playing out is the set up, i'm sure after 10 minutes though, like joey said, all will be fine
i would plan the first few mixes too so you can get used to the set up without worrying about what to drop next if you get me (y)

the only thing i'm worried about playing out is the set up, i'm sure after 10 minutes though, like joey said, all will be fine
i would plan the first few mixes too so you can get used to the set up without worrying about what to drop next if you get me (y)

yeah that sucked arse for me on my first, didnt know wtf channel was for what!!!

Its easier to play to a lot of people than a half empty room, so you should be ok. Do practice a lot, but do not have a set , sert..you need to listen to a few of teh sets before, and work out what you would want to hear...you might have to butter the crowd up with a few aphrodite tracks or maybe even some liquid....variety is the spice of life, and start with a few easy mixes to settle into it, try to interact with the crowd, watch how they react to your tracks, and iof you fukkup, just laugh it off.

if ur confident in ur own abilities then u have nothing to worry about, & don't panic if u cant hear it properly, expect it to sound alot different to ur bedroom

and do the obvious checks before hand, don't wanna turn up and have no jack for ur headphone or push a button on the mixer and loose all sound :D

if ur confident in ur own abilities then u have nothing to worry about, & don't panic if u cant hear it properly, expect it to sound alot different to ur bedroom

Be prepared for this. Mixing on a big rig is a lot different. Always be prepared to play with shitty monitors or no monitors at all as well.

I mixed in my headphones for about 3 months solid in my bedroom after playing out for the first 3 or 4 times and having to contend with no/crap monitors.

hahaha yeh the amount of times ive had no/shit monitors is actually ridiculous, ive actually started to be able to mix tunes by the bass comin out of the speakers in a club!

a lot of ppl have said the standard stuff, have a pint or two, keep one for during ur set.

one good bit of advice i got is don't drink a red bull, i was quite tired before one of my sets once and downed half a can of red bull, i get mad adrenaline when i play out and the combination just didn't work for me, i fucked the first few mixes a treat!

I usually have the first tune of my set worked out and sometimes a cheeky double drop to finish off with, but i usually only think of that on the way there, best thing is not to think about it too much and enjoy what ur doing, the more u think about it the worse nerves ull get, trust me man, i still get crazy nerves and i been playing out for a while now.

Back
Top Bottom