playing on a system

DJError

AKA Error
VIP Junglist
on thurs is the first time im going to be playing on a proper system in a club. what can i expect? will it be really different from playing in a small bar?
im considering not trying to double drop any mixes to be on the safe side, but is it really hard to be able to properly hear the tunes when your in the mix?

if u dont have them allready u should get earplugs. u'll hear everything so much clearer, and ur ears wont hate u the next day.

on thurs is the first time im going to be playing on a proper system in a club. what can i expect? will it be really different from playing in a small bar?
im considering not trying to double drop any mixes to be on the safe side, but is it really hard to be able to properly hear the tunes when your in the mix?

Usually if there's a big system you'll have a decent set of monitor speakers. Should sound fine mate, just ask whoevers organising or been on prior to you how much you can turn the bass up or how far from red lights you have to be is my advice

if your playing in a proper setup club the monitors should sound great and you shouldnt have a issue at all mixing. if worst comes to worst mix in your headphones.

Those are the earplugs i have do u keep them in when ur mixing? i always take mine out for my set!

So tell me.. Say i have my first experience playing out in a proper club (done parties, outside on a big system, etc but never club) on may 29th. Breakin Science "Breakin Talent" Pretty sure it'll be at AREA. Heard its pretty good sound wise in there, but when im mixing, are my headphones going to have to be on full volume blasting my ears? Is it going to be TOOO loud and somewhat potentially & possibly throw me off?

Cheers mush

in loud clubs ur headphones will almost certainly need to be on full volume, i find that sometimes even then they're not loud enough. but as long as u have decent earplugs it wont matter how loud u put them.

In any proper situation the floor sound should be directed away from the Dj..The mons should be slightly in from of you to act as a sound barrier from the floor..and yes unless your totally enclosed in a booth..its always louder. I cue out of my left ear and yes..im not afraid to move any speaker if there's only one.

Last edited:
Played a gig on thurs the monitors were complete waste and so i tried to mix in the headphones, but then the soddin mc was going through so loud that i was mixing more to the mc than the music was ridiculous. and this was a funktion one system!!!??!! tbh i think im gonna use earplugs from now on when playing on big systems cos it was impossible tryin to hear the tunes through the shitty monitor lol. so yea best bet is earplugs methinks.

Set up are completely different mate

Monitor isnt always in front of you, sometimes they are at the sides too

When we played at the Junction in Cambridge, the monitors were either side of the stage, i found ti quite hard to mix there

Ive always prefered the monitor on my right hand side, to cue with my left.

Ive played in some places that was a fucking nightmare to mix too

Played a gig on thurs the monitors were complete waste and so i tried to mix in the headphones, but then the soddin mc was going through so loud that i was mixing more to the mc than the music was ridiculous. and this was a funktion one system!!!??!! tbh i think im gonna use earplugs from now on when playing on big systems cos it was impossible tryin to hear the tunes through the shitty monitor lol. so yea best bet is earplugs methinks.

Got more to do with who rigged it, and whos running it mate, you can have the best system in the world but if you've got some mugs running it it'll never be any use.

Back
Top Bottom