Playing Live - discuss

Discussion in 'Production' started by kama, May 6, 2013.

1. kama

kama benkama.net

I just had my first Ableton Live set on mayday. It went down well, seems I robbed all the ravers from our techno stage :D

I know many producers are planning on doing live sets right now, and I'm keen to help and give insight. I can't be arsed to write a whole post about it so if you guys have any questions, fire away and I'll do my best to answer!

Other live players too, come aboard and discuss!

I fact - I have a question too for other live brethren: In how many tracks/scenes do you split a single tune into?

2. rysk

rysk Part-time waster

how does it actually work? do you have like a set tracklist already synced up and ready to cue? what does it actually add to the experience?

from the 'live' sets i've seen, it seems to be mostly the artists own back catalog, with some unnecessary live edits...which isn't really what i want to hear, i want to hear SOME of the artists tunes, but i also wanna hear the tunes they love, and what influences them, aswell as new dubs they've got hold of.

3. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

Well this has started well. Did you film any of it Kama?

4. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

Nice one Kama, ableton is awsome for live, i do it aswell, coming from a trance background, its not that new, a few ppl doin it dnb now tho so good shit!

I have 8 groups, Percussion, Bass, Pads, Synths, Vocals, Transitions, Atmosphere & Live Sounds (samplers and synths)

inside that I have mostly loops, although I've been working to get as much of it down as midi as possible, only my quad can handle it tho so i've not yet got that area sorted. for actual performance I just use the loop version, with sum live drum kits and synths to play around with transition

5. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

What I've been experimenting with recently is syncing Traktor and Ableton (using Traktor's Master Clock) and then firing off clips/scenes as I see fit. I use it mostly for loops & FX and have yet to decide if it's more effective than simply using my Kontrol F1.

kama likes this.
  6. kama

kama benkama.net

For me it was 100% my own tunes. I did have a tracklist ready, but it's very hard to just wing it without one... I really don't see the point in playing other people's tunes with Live though, since it's all prepitched and precued. I have seen those "live" sets too where some guy just plays complete tunes off Ableton Live by pressing "play". That's very boring I know.

I broke down my tunes into 3-8 tracks and chopped each one down to 20 or so different edits. This way I could drop a beat from another tune to the bass of another, for example. Or use another track's drum fills on top of another, throw in some new bass edits, play with filters on each of the tracks. Generally from my first experience I'd say that it's much more intuitive to read the crowd that way since you can jam with a single tune as long as the ravers feel it. If you see them getting bored, you can start transitioning to another tune, little by little. Or even do a completely new drop to some tune with pre-placed risers and sweep sounds.

Not unfortunately. There was supposed to be an audio recording but my guy forgot to bring the recorder.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  7. kama

kama benkama.net

Do you happen to have any recordings somewhere? So far I've only heard Fanu's live set and I'd love to check some others out too.

8. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

unfortunetly not, my laptop barely handles playing it, every session I've tried to record has ended in crrrrunch and over heating, I might have an older one somewhere I'll have a look, my process and sound has changed (improved) allot over the last year tho