Playing a warm up set...

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by falldotau, Mar 11, 2013.

1. falldotau

falldotau Active Member

Hi guys i might be DJing at local events sometime soon.. and i was wondering what kind of music is safe to play in the warm up sets ie the very first one of the night probably.. as when i'm playing around at home i can normally mess around drop big tunes and it doesn't matter but if its the warm up set i have to take into account the rest of the night, im thinking liquid dnb ? whats a safe bet to start off with...

Cheers Mark..

2. Shatner's Bosom

Shatner's Bosom murder TANMUSHIMUSHI

stripped down need for mirrors type stuff imo, or liquid but not hospital stuff

3. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

It doesnt really matter that much tbh, you'll more than likely be playing to no one so just play whatever you like. If i walk into a club and hear bangers it usually gets me going more then someone playing chilled out liquid stuff. that does depend on the night tho of course.

4. jono.p

jono.p Member

Yeah but there's nothing sadder than seeing someone play out an absolute stomper to an empty dance floor. Leave that for the headliner. I would kick off with some liquid/minimal, decent bass heavy tracks, couple of fresh bits then if it picks up early step it up a gear. The promotors will probably want you to build it up towards the end, get people goin' for the next set. See what the next mans gonna play too then you can roll out smoothly. You wanna play stuff that people can come in to, grab a drink, catch up with the heads, appreciate some good tracks, then give 'em a taste of whats to come.

5. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

That's rubbish, just play whatever you want unless the promoter asks you differently. At the end of the day is best to ask the promoter. I remember doing warm ups and 90% of the time no one was there so like i said, it really doesnt matter what you play - cos there's no ONE there lol

6. hyperd4eva

hyperd4eva H&M SCARVES

Yeah just play what u feel man. if it isnt a dnb night i wouldnt play dnb tbh though. If it is a dnb night however, play what u feel.. This makes u a DJ not a sheep!

7. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Currently Putins Koala

This!

Just tear it up.

8. fuuz3r

fuuz3r KRISTJAN V

if there's a headline dj, avoid playing his tunes and other latest bangers...but other than that, it really doesn't matter i guess.

9. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

play anything, in my humble opinion fuck the headline.. if im at a night out i wanna rock all night.. not just for the the hour or so the main act is there... yeah fair you might plays some of his tunes but if he's a headline he should also have enough tunes and skills to work around that and rock even harder?

but again ask the promoter its his night etc etc blah blah

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  10. fuuz3r

fuuz3r KRISTJAN V

do you know what a warm up set is? look, go to a club just when they open the doors and see for yourself and imagine that you're a dj and you start off with messiah + something something double drop. would look silly if you ask me.

also, i think it's a bit disrespectful playing the main guys tunes in a warm up set. of course when the main guy is after you, then few b-sides and older cuts at the end of your set (and beginning of his) wouldn't hurt.

11. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

rationally i know... but if in just paid 20 quid to go to fabric i wanna bounce about all night.. from the minute i walk in til the minute i leave dont you agree? i understand all the politics thats in the scene but surely at the end of the day the job as a dj is to play for the crowd? regardless of who's been paid to rock them hours later on

12. Jwood27

Jwood27 VICTIM

if there is a headliner do not play their tunes. you are paying them a certain amount of money to play their tunes (new old and others in between) and they have planned certain mixes with some of their tunes.

surely you as a dj have enough other tunes to avoid playing a single artists...

in terms of what to play judge it yourself, what type of night is it.. what are other people playing, stuff like that should all factor in imo. If your playing with two people that will play techstep play something else and so on.