Plan B - Album?

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by D BREAKNECK, Jul 7, 2006.

1. D BREAKNECK

D BREAKNECK 7 years on top

Just wondrin if anyone else has checked it yet?

I do like it, and there are plenty touches of real class, but I really think it may have been over rated by the music press looking for the next Mike Skinner or Em.

His flows are tight, and innovative, using various narratives and all that. Some different subjects etc.

Musically there's some unusual stuff, acoustic guitars and that, and some dreadful sub-Daniel Bedingfield harmonising balladeering, (with Plan B singing his own loops) the fella can't sing that well so I don't understand why he tries?

I literally have to skip thru some of them. I wish I could just get his verses over a simple beat.

Having said that, some of the standard beats are actually a bit limp too. Plan B's personality and verses are the best bit imo.

2. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

I heard something about the next Mike Skinner too, not heard any of this guys stuff yet though. Will check it!

3. Time Dependant

Time Dependant Jungle Hunter

Album is heavy the guy has got so much to say he's a little angry I think!! No More Eating For Da Mans is a good track it's different but not to far gone you can't get your head around it I'm going to Reading Festival this year & Plan B is on one of the stages so I'll be there watching

4. TooEZ

TooEZ Gibber Jabber

Heard about this dude.....

I heard the owners of my local record shop talking about the album, saying that they had just got it in. I asked them if I could have a listen to it and they whacked it on the shop speakers, which started spewing f@ck and c@nt with the effortlessness of the opening 5 minutes of a Big Brother piss-up episode. I was dissapointed. The lyrics were pretty good when they were taken out of the way, but I just didn't feel the need for quite as many obscenities as there were - way too angry, plus his 'young blad ill-favoured yout' voice really grates on me...slightly too oppressive over the music for me, it doesn't fit as well as some of his other UK counterparts. There is definately a lot of talent and promise though and I understand what he is trying to achieve, I just think he could have approached it in a different way, IMO.

4/10:andy:

5. D BREAKNECK

D BREAKNECK 7 years on top

@ TooEZ.

I think you should maybe give it a fuller listen, there is alot of anger and swearing, some of it's in 'character' and taking the piss out of the badman yout wannabes. I thought it was very nihilistic on first few listens, but there is warmth too.

I've been listening some more, and while I have to skip thru the songs with singing on some of the others are very good indeed. There's one about his dad taking him out street preaching when he was six years old.

I think he's blurring the lines between songwriting / hiphop and MCing, like Mike Skinner did with his various genres before getting increasingly 'song' based.

I like my hiphop rawer, but he's innovating and interesting, and I'm not comparing it to hiphop I like, it's a different thing...(If it wasn't for the singing tracks I'd be much happier with it).

I've put half the album on me MP3 player and I'll forget about the rest.

6. skope

skope promoti0nal.douchbag

he did that cap back track on run the road, downhill since then i think (n)

7. apples

apples WINNER is back ;)

i only heard on youtube, i quite like him! but i bloody would. his tunes are good with some points a bit odd like you said. quite good to look at too :D hehe

8. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

Run The Road :slayer:

9. apples

apples WINNER is back ;)

yes yes he is my new mike skinner :cool: :cowbell: :cowbell: :D :D :bone: :bone: :bone: :bone: :bone: :bone: :bone: :bone: :bone: :bone: :bone: :bone: :bone:

10. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

i saw plan B in Liverpool few weeks ago,
    man, lil angry man!!
    ive heard his album, and its just doesnt do justice to him. maybe the acoustic guitar approach, whilst beeing innovative, is just too thin to grab you for the length of a whole album.
    but live, with bassist and drummer, is really really good..
    he even did a cover of "witness", (not sure if its on the album)
    "Witness the sickness"!!!
    sick indeed