Pitching Up Tunes

ses

Just wondering what pitch do you make your sets at? I tend to pitch up all my tunes to 180bpm when im mixin and have seen/heard a fair amount of dnb dj's doing this. I sometimes find this too fast when im listening to a mix ive done but when im mixing 175 seems to slow:S maybe il make sets at 175ish or just start mixin at halfway between at 178, i dont have my decks near me so i cant have a mix right now

if you have technics......

live you ought to mix faster to create a bigger vibe ie +4 and faster

at home, in the studio it ought to be slower i.e between +2 and +4

there is no set in stone speed you should mix at though. its just down to personal preferance.

sweet that makes sense, cos yeh I usually +4% onto a 175tune bringin it to 180, so +2% (177.5) for mixes should sound better:)

I usually just start out with no pitch adjustments but I have been getting more into starting my mixes at a faster rate to speed up the whole mix, its annoying when you mixing at normal rate then you have a really fast song and have to slow it down shitloads then all the tracks are slow n boring lol

This all depends on the BPM of the tune at 0. For example all Noisia, Spor, and Lifted Crew stuff is really fuckin slow at 0, so when i'm mixing i find that these tunes are always around the +4 mark. Everything else after that is under 4, usually around 2.

Just keep it controlled and make sure that you don't keep adjusting the pitches unnecessarily otherwise the mix will continue to speed up throughout or vise versa.

noisa et all tunes are all around 172bpm.

if you got a 175bpm tune you'll pitch it up to +3 to make it 180bpm.

174bpm at +4 is 180bpm.

and yeah, i normally roll out around 180bpm. i find that quite a nice vibe without being insanely fast or too slow. seems just about right for me personally.

It really doesn't matter what bpm you run it at really. 180 is the standard though. At raves it runs abit faster.
Bit to be honest, the numbers written on the deck should be irrelevant, what ever sounds good roll with that.

Usually mixing with the pitch at around +2 playing with tracks that are 174-5 bpm.

Jonny L tunes are pitched at -2!

I normaly mix arround +3 + 5 %
exept of the fastest and slowest vinyls that it could be mixed at 0 % or at +6% !
But i ever think that the best form is mix all at 0 % and more with this fat basslines that when you pitch up to +6% it miss "the flow" "the groove"
(i dont have the word but you know..)

WWW.MYSPACE.COM/PSYBARCELONA

yeah artists like spor and noisia have thier tunes at 172.

i tend to mix at 0 and just gradually build up and slow down or whatever.

33 Speed, pitched up a little bit, Xample - Contra plus scratching for funkiness , anyone else do this ? or do you all just scratch to dnb speed

What's with all the pitching up?

First tune starts at zero and I go from there.

Fully disagree on that, i think that most tunes are produced a little slower to be played faster when mixed. Say if i started with Noisia - Stigma at 0 pitch, everything else would have to be mixed on the - range of the deck, which is ghey.

Last time i saw Chase and Status they banged the decks straight +4 and went from there!

Of course there will be some tunes that don't fall in the normal range, like that Noisia tune. Fair enough, pitch that up if you're starting with it. But a whole set at +4? Pfft.

I gradually get faster while i'm playing and then gradually slow it down again (over several tunes) If you do it in tiny amounts someone listening can't really tell but it seems like the mix is building up energy as you go along and the BPM slowly increases. Then you can chill it out again by slowing down.

Back
Top Bottom