pitching in the samplers within reason?

dj-dusty

VIP Junglist
is it possible to pitch samples (mainly drums) up or down in the samplers without making them play faster/slower, sort of like transpose but smoother?

Would be nice to have the option to do it as you can get some wicked effects with it

yeh mate, just insert a pitch shifter vst or plugin into ur channel

You can't use vst's in reason, needs to be re-wired into a DAW to use any extra software along with it.

If you click the small arrow at the bottom left hand corner of the NN19 or NNxt to open the remote editor you can select individual samples and change the pitch from there (aswel as amp envelope, LFO's etc)

You can't use vst's in reason, needs to be re-wired into a DAW to use any extra software along with it.

If you click the small arrow at the bottom left hand corner of the NN19 or NNxt to open the remote editor you can select individual samples and change the pitch from there (aswel as amp envelope, LFO's etc)

ahhh yeh i forgot about the gheyness of reason!

yeh mate, just insert a pitch shifter vst or plugin into ur channel

can u name one? I tested some free vst samplers, ableton, reason samplers. No one can pitch shift a .wav without time stretching it, because thats the way it is done :) I searched for this too, a hack might be to use delay/reverb fx for higher pitches to lengthen the signal, for lower pitches u can use ADSR env. But this will change the timbre dramatically if u go over a octave.

yeh but that changes the speed of the sample aswell, also you can automate it.

I want to be able to (for example) make a drum loop go up in pitch over time using automation but i dont want the actual loop to speed up, i think there is a way to do it within reason but i just dont know how?

yeh but that changes the speed of the sample aswell, also you can automate it.

I want to be able to (for example) make a drum loop go up in pitch over time using automation but i dont want the actual loop to speed up, i think there is a way to do it within reason but i just dont know how?

Ahh I thought you meant single hits not a loop, with the Dr.Rex player you can pitch loops and keep them the same tempo, not sure about the samplers though.

therefore u can just use the transpose button in dr.rex. But be sure to slice the .wav loop in recycle in some slices. When u pitch shift in dr.rex a loop it is done by time stretching, so the whole .wav loop will loose its time length, if u slice it before recycle will set up pauses between the single played pitch shifted time stretched slices to keep the overall original time length of the loop. The bpm knob in recycle varies the pauses between single slices. So load ur loop as a sliced .rex in dr.rex, then open a nn-xt with the same .rex, then click "to track" in dr.rex and the midi sliced are set into the nnxt track. Then u have much more modulation/fx options than in dr.rex.

But i still wanna know if there is a vst sampler pitchshifting without timestretching

therefore u can just use the transpose button in dr.rex. But be sure to slice the .wav loop in recycle in some slices. When u pitch shift in dr.rex a loop it is done by time stretching, so the whole .wav loop will loose its time length, if u slice it before recycle will set up pauses between the single played pitch shifted time stretched slices to keep the overall original time length of the loop. The bpm knob in recycle varies the pauses between single slices. So load ur loop as a sliced .rex in dr.rex, then open a nn-xt with the same .rex, then click "to track" in dr.rex and the midi sliced are set into the nnxt track. Then u have much more modulation/fx options than in dr.rex.

But i still wanna know if there is a vst sampler pitchshifting without timestretching
yeh i know how to transpose in the dr rex but that is transposing in semi tones and i want a nice clean sweep down (or up) in pitch and the sounds stay the same length.

Basically i want to be able to take a 4 bar sample and use it for a rise and pitch it up before a drop but i want the sample to stay at 4 bars, there must be a way of doing this.

The transpose just isnt good enough for me lol

Sorry to be a pain, maybe there is just no way of doing it within reason

dont think there is bro, if there is ill kick myself cos been usin reason for years, but im pretty sure that you cant do it in reason

best bet is defo converting to a rex, or inporting it to Cool Edit, soundofrge or something similar ans timestrethcing it

dont think there is bro, if there is ill kick myself cos been usin reason for years, but im pretty sure that you cant do it in reason

best bet is defo converting to a rex, or inporting it to Cool Edit, soundofrge or something similar ans timestrethcing it

yeh its only a case of doing it in another program but i just thought it would be good to do it within reason, oh well lol

hmm, when u load the rex in the nnxt u can smoothly pitch shift the single slices in the pitch array, the bar length will be kept, they are as midi notes in the nnxt track. Whats the prob with this? If u only want to pitch smoothly and not over octaves, the timestretching is so small that u wont hear gaps. I mean i thougt most use Recycle for this scenario, maybe im getting something wrong here.

u mentioned wavelab. What would u do there? load the .wav ok, but then how does wavelab change the pitch without timestretching single slices of it? Does it do kinda resynthesis of the signal or why there would be no gaps?

Back
Top Bottom