pitch envelope follower?

DYSRUPT

Does anybody know of a vst that detects pitch and is mappable? or does anyone know how this can be done in ableton? What it would be is much like an Envelope Follower, but instead of detecting amplitude, it would detect pitch and allow for anything to be mapped to it and in turn automating the parameters of what ever is mapped. I'm racking my brain trying to noodle how this could be attained in ableton. I'm sure there's a way. thanks

What do you mean with detect the pitch? Like the key of a sample? And what exactly do you want to automate? Feeling a bit stupid right now lel

hahaha. yeah kind of. like an Envelope Follower. lets says you laid down some neuro whip turn around basses let's say A to F# if you have a device that detects pitch and has a map or side chain capability, you could have it automate the dry wet of a flange, saturator, reverb, etc. BUT it would only kick on when the Amaj plays. what made me think of this was vocal sampling. I was thinking how I could get a more natural sound when going from note to note in a sampler. I came to the conclusion that there's more harmonics on some notes than other when you sing naturally. A little more raspy. then I figured I would add a distortion for harmonics and wow filter on others to change the "vowel" slightly. that way it wouldnt sound so robotic and unnatural. then I thought if I could do it with an envelope follower and the answer is no because I'm not automating the amplitude, I'm automating the pitch. I now some notes are naturally "louder" than others, so It would work some what if I dont compress before hand. I feel like it could be done with midi fx stuff in ableton. but I don't really use midi fx stuff so I don't know. I'll have to get on some knowledge about that.

hahaha. yeah kind of. like an Envelope Follower. lets says you laid down some neuro whip turn around basses let's say A to F# if you have a device that detects pitch and has a map or side chain capability, you could have it automate the dry wet of a flange, saturator, reverb, etc. BUT it would only kick on when the Amaj plays. what made me think of this was vocal sampling. I was thinking how I could get a more natural sound when going from note to note in a sampler. I came to the conclusion that there's more harmonics on some notes than other when you sing naturally. A little more raspy. then I figured I would add a distortion for harmonics and wow filter on others to change the "vowel" slightly. that way it wouldnt sound so robotic and unnatural. then I thought if I could do it with an envelope follower and the answer is no because I'm not automating the amplitude, I'm automating the pitch. I now some notes are naturally "louder" than others, so It would work some what if I dont compress before hand. I feel like it could be done with midi fx stuff in ableton. but I don't really use midi fx stuff so I don't know. I'll have to get on some knowledge about that.

Ah yea that's really interesting. Never thought about that before but it sounds exciting. So i'm pretty sure i don't know any plugin that is able to do it until now. Maybe there is one, who knows, but could be difficult to find. Ever thought of building your own one? Do you have max for live? Of course this could take some time to find a good solution to do it. I guess one of the keys to achieve it is the ableton audio to melody/harmony option. Let's say it works flawlessly, then you would need to find a way that your max plugin automatically renders the audio files to a melody and saves it in a background file. With the information in this background file a simple do while loop is running. So e.g. let's say everytime the midi background sample says C put 10 percent reverb on it. This would be my idea in theory, i haven't done anything with max for live on my own yet, so no idea if this would have potential to work :D

use a spectrum analyzer. the first peak in the sample usually is the fundamental frequency, which is the root key

if you mean for like samples, have the metronome play and change the pitch around till you get the closest, shouldn't be too hard

Last edited:
Oh.. i was probably a bit tired. I'm not on ableton but you could make some racks with macros controlling different aspects like dry/wet on fx or volume, sounds like a bit of work but would probably become quite useful for you

I think you have to fudge it yourself. In ableton you could make a rack and in that rack you have separate chains, each one would have your notes, with the different processing you want at said note. Then you could automate the volume of each chain, I would probably look at cross fading them at the time the changes are required, rather than just on and off. Is something like effectrix or some other multi fx unit upto to finishing this task as well?
But other than creating separate chains and automating how they come in and out at different notes, I dont think I have ever seen something that could do this. Does melodyne have any weird functions like this?

I think you have to fudge it yourself. In ableton you could make a rack and in that rack you have separate chains, each one would have your notes, with the different processing you want at said note. Then you could automate the volume of each chain, I would probably look at cross fading them at the time the changes are required, rather than just on and off. Is something like effectrix or some other multi fx unit upto to finishing this task as well?
But other than creating separate chains and automating how they come in and out at different notes, I dont think I have ever seen something that could do this. Does melodyne have any weird functions like this?

Right. I dont know anything about melodyne, but i tried dropping samplers in the drum rack to trigger seperate note chains and its pretty cool to have multiple variations of the same thing for turn arounds or what ever, but as far as a note effect device or pitch effect device, its more work than drawing in automation lanes. sooooooo. back to the drawing board lol. I forgot about glitch and effectrix. thatll do for now. Thanks

Try using Audio Effects racks, and loading different note Effects chains, rather than specific notes in a sampler. Then the automation would be adjusting the volume(using cross fades) to blend from one effect chain to another.

If yu trigger seperate notes in seperate samplers, I would assume the changes are very sudden and not pleasing to the ears. If you automate a crossfade between effects chains, you are basically controlling the attack and decay with the fade in and fade out of the effects racks, like an envelope?

Back
Top Bottom