Pioneer Turntable

You are not helping yourself really are you with pissypants replies.

But, even though I have a CDJ/Controller thing, I understand that as medium, Vinyl is probably the best, because it is still analogue of sorts. In any music profession, people will always try to go with the best medium. Guitarists(the best ones), what gear do they play? Joe Bonamassa probably one of the finest guitar players out there right now, playing with over 50 year old guitars, into Amplifiers built in the 80's or faithful recreations of old time gear. Technology that was conceived in the war to listen to communications of ze germans. The whole guitar industry did the wayhey digital is here dance in the 80's. Why now is old analogue Valve Amps the most sort after things out there? Because they sound better.

Vinyl sounds better, is probably never going to go away, and still has a niche market out there, to say otherwise is just ignorant!

Play digital, play vinyl, but why all the pissy pants arguments over it?

Did you watch the bit of the video where the Pioneer fella talks about Vinyl as a medium? I guess not.

Name change - Pissypants

30 lb bag of vinyl vs USB stick. Think about it.
that all depends on transport, if you prefer to mix vinyl. I prefer to mix vinyl and if I'm in a car on the way down there would always pick vinyl, if I had to get public transport obviously USB stick. Some DJ's who mix vinyl would probably think the same as me because personally,don't think you can sum that up with bag of vinyl vs USB because most big DJ's won't be getting the bus down to the rave

that all depends on transport, if you prefer to mix vinyl. I prefer to mix vinyl and if I'm in a car on the way down there would always pick vinyl, if I had to get public transport obviously USB stick. Some DJ's who mix vinyl would probably think the same as me because personally,don't think you can sum that up with bag of vinyl vs USB because most big DJ's won't be getting the bus down to the rave
I totally agree. I prefer to play vinyl too. I'm not going to lug around a record bag though. I have a DVS set up at home, but don't leave the house with records. My whole point is that you're not going to see a vinyl resurgence because Pioneer releases a turntable. More people might switch to DVS though.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I expect this thing to have some sort of Rekordbox DVS capability. Decks that link with the DJM mixers. It'll basically replace the Serato/Traktor sound cards. You can probably play DVS off a USB stick.

I just wonder how Serato would react. This would effectively ruin the relationship of the companies.

Surely these TTs can only be a good thing?

If they do indeed replace old 1210s in clubs, that's probably good, as a lot of places tend to not maintain turntables that well anymore.

yes they will almost certainly cost a bomb, but if you can't afford 2k for them or whatever it will be, just buy 1210s and serato for around 900 quid. Same thing, cheaper.

I get the bus and train to all my gigs and I carry one of those Magma bags that holds 100 tunes. It can be a pain at times but I struggle to get into any sort of vibe with digital formats. It's just not the same.

You can get record bags on wheels....so people who really want to play their vinyl out will fork out for one. If you have one of those then is it really that much of a mission. Personally, I would say that not playing vinyl out because of the effort of transporting them only really applies to DJs touring globally who are catching planes. Saying that, I don't play my records out and have never had to lug them around so I wouldn't really know. A personal reason for not playing my records out is because a) I don't have turntables to practice on, and b) I'm usually pretty pissed and everyone around me is even more so - I don't want to risk damaging them.

- - - Updated - - -

My whole point is that you're not going to see a vinyl resurgence because Pioneer releases a turntable. More people might switch to DVS though.

Might see an increase in vinyl only records as well. If more people have the means to play them (even if they mainly use DVS) then they will be more likely to buy them.

actually who gives a shit...best to just leave it to it's own devices, because you know what will be next

Last edited by a moderator:
Might see an increase in vinyl only records as well. If more people have the means to play them (even if they mainly use DVS) then they will be more likely to buy them.

This.

I can't see how an increase in turntable sales wouldn't increase vinyl sales. Even people using DVS are likely to buy a record or two just for the novelty of owning some records.

Remembering that that turntable was a demo model from a pioneer showcase presenting possibilities for a turntable from pioneer eventually, there is no immediate future for this product anyway, but the possibilities it presents are great.

A turntable that behaves and feels pretty much exactly as a 1210 does, if supplied in a significant portion of clubs will pretty much inevitably help out vinyl sales figures. It's pretty much a given that it will do so, as why wouldn't it? It's not going to bring them down, and however substantial the effect it has is - something I'm yet to fully speculate on - it's still something. The number of DJs who, when asked, say their reason for stopping playing out with 12s and dubs is because of nightmares with unserviced, generally shoddy turntables is significant, and turntables that actually work in the club can only help. A new, basically functionally identical turntable in decent clubs will more than likely persuade the DJs who are playing vinyl where they can and CDs otherwise, that they will be able to rely on the turntables when they turn up. Sure, DJs who have already fully made the changeover are unlikely to switch back if they're more than a year or so out of date with their physical library, but who knows.

Anyone who plays / has played vinyl will know that even though you can play a great set with whatever else, nothing quite matches up to the the feel of playing vinyl, and that when it's not a nightmare, it's crazy fun. In reference to lugging big bags of vinyl around, I'd personally say it's worth it, even when I'm heaving it around on public transport it's still hardly a frightful experience. Although I have once got my vinyl bag stuck behind the tube barriers with me on the other side looking like a tit.

Additionally, think about it this way, it's a new turntable. It's like a reminder to the DJing community who are swaying towards the opinion that vinyl is dead, that it isn't. Point taken and fully understood that it's tough to imagine pioneer intending this as a revival of, as said earlier, a medium they've catalysed the decline of - but it's not going to hurt it.

If I was preparing for a gig at a club that I knew had 2 or 3 brand new turntables installed, I'd be even more enthusiastic about lugging a bag of vinyl along. I'd probably even go on a little discogs spree beforehand. If I was buying less and less new vinyl because I was finding myself not being able to properly play my records when I'm out, then knowing I would be able to properly play them would get my purchases right back up to speed. Yes, often the problem is less with the bad turntable than the poor feedback insulation, dodgy needles etc... but if I was a club manager and I'd just shelled out 2k+ on a set of new turntables then I'd want to make pretty fucking sure there wouldn't be any problems with them when the system's on!

Remembering that that turntable was a demo model from a pioneer showcase presenting possibilities for a turntable from pioneer eventually, there is no immediate future for this product anyway, but the possibilities it presents are great.

A turntable that behaves and feels pretty much exactly as a 1210 does, if supplied in a significant portion of clubs will pretty much inevitably help out vinyl sales figures. It's pretty much a given that it will do so, as why wouldn't it? It's not going to bring them down, and however substantial the effect it has is - something I'm yet to fully speculate on - it's still something. The number of DJs who, when asked, say their reason for stopping playing out with 12s and dubs is because of nightmares with unserviced, generally shoddy turntables is significant, and turntables that actually work in the club can only help. A new, basically functionally identical turntable in decent clubs will more than likely persuade the DJs who are playing vinyl where they can and CDs otherwise, that they will be able to rely on the turntables when they turn up. Sure, DJs who have already fully made the changeover are unlikely to switch back if they're more than a year or so out of date with their physical library, but who knows.

Anyone who plays / has played vinyl will know that even though you can play a great set with whatever else, nothing quite matches up to the the feel of playing vinyl, and that when it's not a nightmare, it's crazy fun. In reference to lugging big bags of vinyl around, I'd personally say it's worth it, even when I'm heaving it around on public transport it's still hardly a frightful experience. Although I have once got my vinyl bag stuck behind the tube barriers with me on the other side looking like a tit.

Additionally, think about it this way, it's a new turntable. It's like a reminder to the DJing community who are swaying towards the opinion that vinyl is dead, that it isn't. Point taken and fully understood that it's tough to imagine pioneer intending this as a revival of, as said earlier, a medium they've catalysed the decline of - but it's not going to hurt it.

If I was preparing for a gig at a club that I knew had 2 or 3 brand new turntables installed, I'd be even more enthusiastic about lugging a bag of vinyl along. I'd probably even go on a little discogs spree beforehand. If I was buying less and less new vinyl because I was finding myself not being able to properly play my records when I'm out, then knowing I would be able to properly play them would get my purchases right back up to speed. Yes, often the problem is less with the bad turntable than the poor feedback insulation, dodgy needles etc... but if I was a club manager and I'd just shelled out 2k+ on a set of new turntables then I'd want to make pretty fucking sure there wouldn't be any problems with them when the system's on!

/thread

30 lb bag of vinyl vs USB stick. Think about it.

why not just set up a live feed from your bedroom to the club so you can play at a night without even getting out of bed? is it really that hard sitting on a bus or tube with a bag of vinyl at your feet?

the other thing is if you saw someone on the bus with a wallet of cds and you saw someone next to him with a big bag of vinyl, who would you think is cooler?

....and then you with a usb stick around your neck

Literally never had any major problems playing out with vinyl and iv played quite a few clubs now. I think the only way it becomes stupid is when going abroad. even then it is still possible.

As long as you have headphones and some needles you know work ok then your pretty much going to be fine!

As a regular vinyl user at home (I buy tonnes of vinyl but run traktor with my 1210's) if I know a club has shit turntables, or none, I play on CDJ's, easy as that.

Right on Will.
I think it may have been mentioned before but there are a lot of people out there who have a lot if disposable income and like to buy the newest gear. If these catch on the niche of vinyl may catch on a little more. Some people do switch from CD's to turntables (DJ Merlin on here) being one of them.

I haven't had many gigs in my time, but in all honesty, it was me that was the problem a lot if the time. I was too used to mixing at home. Whenever I used a pair of decks that were slightly fucked I struggled. Also the fact that I predominantly mixed in headphones a while back meant that getting a headphone mix on an unfamiliar mixer was difficult.
Now, after a lot of bad sets (& some good ones too) I have learnt to adapt to any problems that I come across. If the monitors are crisp then I'll mix normally... If not then ill check the master in the headphones.

Since using a multitude of turntables, I now have the ability to adapt to a pair, even though they may feel completely different to the ones I have at some.

Back on topic...
I reckon these will probably catch on. Especially for club owners who have OCD about having all equipment by the same brand.
I heard somewhere that Pioneer give out a lot of equipment to clubs. This could mean that there are a fresh pair of TT's at a club near you...

Back
Top Bottom