Phucked Recordings

Mr Fletch

aka KRONIX
VIP Junglist
http://soundcloud.com/phuckedrecordings

Has anyone here heard of this label? or know anything about them? had any experiences with them?

I'm asking this as I've started sending out some demo's to a few labels, and the owner of this label has recently got back in touch with me about my tracks. He has sent me a digital contract to sign, but wants me to choose what tracks to release? surely thats the labels choice right?

Next, after reading through the contract, it states that the artist recieves 40% of net sales of the tracks? Surely thats abismally low right? And the artist must also submit a track for free download for "Promotional purposes"?

Now, on top of that, it also states that it is the artists responsibility for any mastering of the tracks, and as a good friend of mine (and label owner himself) said, if the artist has to pay out for mastering, why are they only recieving 40% of sales? surely it's the labels responsibility to master the tracks ready for release?

But all that being said, they do look like they have a good following, and are certainly getting playtime on SC.

So, what are everyones thoughts on this, before I make a decision?

I think this is a person from the DNB-Forum.. I saw his post a week ago that he is going to make this label.
Flick through the pages a bit here and in New Track and Releases a bit, might find it. I'm sure I read it.
His aim was to get small unsigned artists noticed by "officially" releasing their tracks for free (so I dunno where this 40% policy comes from) as for large promotion.

I dunno if I read right though, but this is what I remember.. I advice strongly to think twice and read the pages a bit!

Try to speak to artists who are already on the labels which have approached you.

Make sure there is something you can sign and try and sign up to the PRS

I think this is a person from the DNB-Forum.. I saw his post a week ago that he is going to make this label.
Flick through the pages a bit here and in New Track and Releases a bit, might find it. I'm sure I read it.
His aim was to get small unsigned artists noticed by "officially" releasing their tracks for free (so I dunno where this 40% policy comes from) as for large promotion.

I dunno if I read right though, but this is what I remember.. I advice strongly to think twice and read the pages a bit!

Don't think it can be this guy. On the first page alone Phucked Recordings has tunes that were added 7 months ago so they must have been going for quite some time!

Not sure what to think of the label... It seems awfully wierd that they expect the artist to arrange mastering! I have no expeirence though so can't really comment.

This is my point.

I've had some experience with a label, and I speak regularly to an owner of a drum and bass label, and this just does not add up? As far as I'm aware, mastering is the labels issue, and 40% is extremely low in any case, without the fact that they expect the artist to pay for mastering!

But what confuses me is that they have some really good artists signed??

Yeah, a lot of the tunes on there sounded good! Unless they are suggesting that the artist should do the mastering themselves?

Still, from what I have heard mastering is the labels resbonsibillity 99% percent of the time! That way if a label has a certain sound I guess their mastering engineer can get it for them! So, this one is a little confusing to me...

This is my point.

I've had some experience with a label, and I speak regularly to an owner of a drum and bass label, and this just does not add up? As far as I'm aware, mastering is the labels issue, and 40% is extremely low in any case, without the fact that they expect the artist to pay for mastering!

But what confuses me is that they have some really good artists signed??

Tough call Mr. Fletch.

On one hand the digital contract sounds a bit...odd IMO. Specifically, the part about having the artist be responsible for paying for mastering. Honestly, I'm not sure if this is standard practice or not as my partner and I have yet to deal with any labels so I could be completely wrong with regards to an artist having to pay out of pocket for the mastering. The 60/40 ratio I could kind of understand if the label promoted the fuck out of your track(s) through multiple outlets and handled your P.R. properly.

On the other hand, you said they have really good artists signed on which definitely helps the integrity of the label. Would it be in bad taste to contact one of the artists on the label to get a "feel" for how their experience has gone with the label thus far, or is that stepping over the line?

Again, I'm not sure of the politics here as myself and msmith222 have yet to sign any dotted lines...a more "under the radar" approach may be to Google some of the signed artists and see what 3rd party websites/digital stores show up in your search results; this may help you get an idea as to how much effort they'll put into pushing your track.

Just .02. Keep us posted if you can.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Seem's legit to me mate.

With the mastering thing. If you think about it does make sense. If you think how much money these guys are making, profit wise when you consider how much a distributor is, then i doubt they'd want to be paying for mastering on top. Chuck em here mate, I'll try a master for you :P

One thing that i thought though, you get the money from net sales, are these guys cutting vinyl too or just shiftin digital?

Anyways, best thing to do, as said is get in contact with someone already signed, see what they have to say about it. If you don't wanna do that then I say go for it. Sign one or two tracks and see where it takes you.

mastering isnt always the labels job
if they state you have to take care of the mastering then thats what it is
and if they say they take care of the mastering etc
i was speakin with a dubstep label owner a good while ago an he said id have get my tunes mastered myself never bothered in the end the tunes were shit.lol
but that label seems fairly big now its betamorph records reckon they take care of mastering themselves now

Not sure abt the mastering bit.
I have 2 friends that have releases with 2 diff labels
They have had 1 vinyl release and about 8 digi over 2 years
And I can tell you they have never received a single penny from the labels
Both labels are fairly known.both labels did the mastering
I guess it's about exposure for the first few releases
Then again I would take the 40%

Seriously mate.. i took one look at that label and if they offered me a contract id sign, date, and return it asap! Lol.

Look at the exposure your tune will get bro! they uploaded a new release only 16 hours ago and its already got well over 700 comments, i bet a quarter of them bought it off juno too, but even if no1 bought it.. look at the exposure! wow! lol

Ive seen the name around on sc b4 but never looked, but damn that looks like a top label to me, im a new producer and just signed my first track to a label thats literally just started up. Id be buzzin if they offered me a contract anyway..

40% is kinda phucked though lol i always believed the artist shud get majority of the money for producing the tune, but depends on the distributors..

those tracks are decent man, you should expect a 50/50 deal from an independent label in my experience, but as previously said that page seems to generate a lot of interest (so you will get a lot of hits from it ) so - if you can chose what tracks you give them, why not just pick a couple that AREN'T your favourite, and that you havn't signed anyway, that way its a win-win situation ;)

Absolutely forget about money man, gotta make a name first. If you're certain that the tracks are a good representation of you and your ability then just push them out. If you can't make something new that's as good or better than these tunes in the future then ...well.
Decide.
Push the tune.
Get followers.
Make some amazing dope tunes.
Blow minds.
Then maybe? maybe? profit.

I have a few tunes signed to pucked (forthcoming) as far as im concerned the label seems like it will be good for me, i think the calibre of artists they have is very high and im looking forward to the releases.

the guy who runs the label seems to work very hard, and is a good guy

the mastering issue... in my experience quite a lot of smaller labels will either do diy mastering, or get it done cheaply, mastering is not as big a deal for digital recordings as for vinyl releases, as long as the mixdown is good its mainly about boosting the volume, obviously a really decent master will make a tune sound much better, but that costs a lot of money, which most smaller labels wont be making.

40% seems fine to me, theres hardly any money in drum and bass anyway,

anyway all of the above is just my opinion/ to the best of my understanding etc, feel free to call me out on anything ive got wrong.

Back
Top Bottom