Phat Sam's "How to get started in Music Production" Thread

Discussion in 'Production' started by Phat_Sam, Apr 23, 2012.

1. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

I tend to bass how good a sample is on the actual sound quality. I think the majority of drum samples have the potential to work at some point. It just depends on your mood and the track you're working on.

A sample with lots of headroom, no unwanted peaks and in 24bit IMO is a good sample.
    A kick sample that is layered with a hi hat and has reverb on it is a bad sample.

2. Exert

Exert I like trains

Yeah I get you, I understand the basics with regards to unwanted 'pre-layered cool fx' and shit, just not the processing part after it I guess haha..

3. puddledub

puddledub New Member

Hi Everyone,

First post !!

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread - it's helped me loads if anything it's helped me realise that I can't make amazing kick ass tunes overnight and that it takes a lot of practice.. I have to chill and have patience! (Or it could be that I'm just shit..) :p

Lots of helpful tips in this thread, so those not reading the stickies are missing out!!!

The only thing you've missed is you've not told us how to be like Netsky. :lol:

Cheers!

Nige.

4. Phat_Sam

Phat_Sam Well-Known Member

Nice one geeza. Good to see it's of help to someone! :)

5. Deluded

Deluded New Member

Nice :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  6. keeyz

keeyz New Member

hi guys,

I've recently been starting with FL. And i'm reading your tips & tricks to get started but i'm like wth is he talking about. therefore i have some questions for you.
    Do u just download samples of kicks, snares etc and adjust them in ur own way. Or do you really need to produce your own kicks hats,...
    i was thinking u have to produce your own kicks and therefore i have a few questions about that topic.

1.) topic here told me that u have to get started with piano roll but that i already know. So ur been talking about compression and EQ and i get all the stuf your telling me but the problem is that I dont know how i can make this dnb rythm. i want to create something like this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RREJ5qSnHc

in this track u have like the kick & claps but then u have few instruments coming between fast after eachother. U all know what i mean u have the basic kick clap kick clap. but the thing in between is the thing i want to create and have difficulties in finding this rythm. Thats why i'm kinda stuck because i can't create the sound I want.

I hope you guys can help me out so i can move on and practice harder to become good :)

Thanks

Keeyz

7. luckeyluc

luckeyluc New Member

I just started with reason so I can't really help you with this because I don't know anything about FL studio, but at reason i can select how much steps there are.
    U now probably using 16 steps, if u set this to 32 u can add extra drums between the notes u already have.
    Not sure if this is what you mean but u could try :).

OT.
    Just found these tips: http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech/23-classic-drum-n-bass-tips-155890
    I'm too inexperienced yet to know what to do with those but I think they quite helpfull.

8. Phat_Sam

Phat_Sam Well-Known Member

Good shout

Keeyzzzzzzz! My mannnn!

So I think you're looking for what are called 'ghost notes,' 'ghost snares' or 'ghost drums.'

Have a quick skim on Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_note

It's basically drum shuffles that come between the first snare and second kick. Sometimes more frequently, some times not at all.

Do a little bit of research on the Amen break to get you started - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amen_break

And some on drum and bass drum programming - http://www.attackmagazine.com/technique/beat-dissected/incessant-drum-bass-beat/

Have fun braaaaaah!

9. Mattjc

Mattjc New Member

Hey,
    I'm getting into using Cubase 7 for drum and bass, this forum is great! a real stepping stone.
    I'm having real confusion over the drum programming though - I read that page on drum programming that you just posted Sam, but I still don't really understand the process of making dnb drums. So is there a generally used process of creating a beat using midi and then putting 4 bar loops over the top? or do many people create there own loops using midi or anything? Very confused :(
    Any wisdom?
    Thanks,
    Matt

10. filtronstacks

filtronstacks Member

Thanks for all the links and tips - really useful stuff!