Phasing & Scratching

DJ COSHH

VIP Junglist
Does anyone enjoy listening to records being phased, or scratching. I find that when a certain dj (i think u know who i mean) scratches all through a set it is just annoying, is this just me? And what a mess phasing is, can't understand the benefit of it??

Whats ur opinion??

yeah i think on some songs scratching ruins it and others it makes it, whats phazing btw?
An i guess you were talking about hype :cool:

I have used phasing by starting a tune 1- 2- 3- 4 (out of 175) out of time and then doing 1- long switches with to mash it up a bit, but it only works with certain tunes.
There was a tune on the Murder Ep by Total Science I used to do that with a bit, anything with a fat melodic synth riff on it

scratching is something I have really only seen Ratty, Hype and Greg Packer do, and thats okay with me. :rik:

Phazing is where you beatmatch two identical records together at the same time in the same place on each record, then you slow the pitch down just a tiny bit and it creates a whooshing sound effect as a result of the identical soundwave suddenly becoming dissimilar. It only last for a few seconds (if that) so you need to juggle the pitch up and down a fraction every couple of seconds. Although nowadays with built in effects in mixers and plugin units like the Kaoss pad, there's no need for it IMO.

What Mesh is on about is Phasing, two identical records beatmatched but playing in 1/4, 1/2 or a whole bar difference, so that you can play with the crossfader and juggle between the records, creating chopped up versions of said record being played. DJ Hype is well known for doing this to Planet Dust

Very easy to confuse the two :teeth:

Phazing is where you beatmatch two identical records together at the same time in the same place on each record, then you slow the pitch down just a tiny bit and it creates a whooshing sound effect as a result of the identical soundwave suddenly becoming dissimilar. It only last for a few seconds (if that) so you need to juggle the pitch up and down a fraction every couple of seconds. Although nowadays with built in effects in mixers and plugin units like the Kaoss pad, there's no need for it IMO.

What Mesh is on about is Phasing, two identical records beatmatched but playing in 1/4, 1/2 or a whole bar difference, so that you can play with the crossfader and juggle between the records, creating chopped up versions of said record being played. DJ Hype is well known for doing this to Planet Dust

Very easy to confuse the two :teeth:
Great explanation, 10/10! (y) :teeth:

That is a good explanation, but if you change the pitch won't the beats go out and sound all mashup

Yes but you need to touch the pitch in the other direction to stop the beats going mashup. Like I said before, it doesn't last for long, maybe a few seconds at most depending on how softly you touch the pitch control. You only need to change the pitch a very small amount to get the phaze going, but you need to touch it again in the other direction to continue the phase, and just gently touch it back and forth to keep the phaze going. Takes a while to get the hang of.

Last edited:
For phazing I just use the phase effect on my mixer te he he ha. But I was on a bout 1/4 or 1/2 bar beat juggling phasing, just sounds like a mess, ruins the flow and roll of the track. Personally I don't really see how scratching fits into drum and bass, whereas it is unbelievable what dj's do scratch wise with hip-hop. Makes a good debate though!

A lot of my mates didnt grow up listening to jungle, it was hip hip all the way for us until 1991. Then a bitta hardcore and techno, then jungle, so we still liked scratching and all the DJs used to at least practice scratching at home.

Scratching sounds good if the dj knows how to scratch and it fits the ambience. Scratching a hard hitting tech song or Mc Conrad is bollocks but with a nice bit of jump up, it can sound very good. A Hype set without scratching would not be a proper Hype set!

Back
Top Bottom