Personal medical question......

subprime

Dysjoint
VIP Junglist
Ear damage.
Does anyone know much about how much it takes to permanently damage your hearing.
Just been getting into a tune thru the phones for an hour with the volume creeping higher as you do, and feel a bit odd to be honest.

How does headphone use compare to just being at a gig or something?
Just wondering if anyone has a thought on this. If you work with headphones a lot do you think it's anything to worry about?

cant say ive had that but id have a break man u dont wanna ruin ur ears!

Had to learn about this shit at college.

If you listen to music at high volume for a long period of time your ears will naturally compress the sound you are listening to to not damage your ears.

Just have regular breaks from listening to loud music and your ears shouldn't suffer any long term damge.

Wikpedia this shit cause I can't really remember it all

Take breakes mate, it's very important. I've been listening to music on max volume on my mp3, everyday for as long as I can remember. I now suffer from mild tinitus (impaired hearing and a constant ringing in your ears). It's not terrible but i'm taking it easy from now on. Was thinking about getting earplugs for nights out as well but that just seems harsh.

Try to keep the volume fairly low, its very easy to start causing damage to your ears. Headphones are bad for it because like you say its easy to keep turning up a little bit. Anything over 90db could damage your hearing, although you'd have to be exposed to it for a long time at that level. There are laws for places like clubs to make sure employees wear ear protection when theyre in certain zones that are constantly at a high level of sound (somwhere around 100db, I cant remember exactly). If your into your music its worth looking into it more as hearing damage wont do you any good at all!

Last edited:
well ive been raving for best part of 12 years, producing with headphones for past 2 and am constantly listenin to tunes with headphones and i had a ear test the otehr day and my ears are perfect!!

take breaks and dont have it too loud i guess is the key

the main reason i dont like
using headphones is i find
them so fatiguing...

after a few hours everything
gets a little dull and need to take
break...

permanent damage to ears can be
done in very little time at all
a very high volumes...

from memory sounds at
110 db/SPL and beyond can do