Perfect kicks - Jump up

Summers

Ok so I can never seem to get the perfect kick I desire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdD8XYMdsmI

In this example the kick in the intro is quite low heavy and punchy.

After the drop would the kick still be the same? or should you like reduce the decay or remove some of the low end to avoid conflicting with the sub?

Also would you have the kick sidechaining with the sub bass? or just have the kick sitting above it in the eq?

There are several ways to make a kick and sub work well together, how depends on the tune you're working on.
In this track I hear it's the same kick in the intro and drop, so they might have went with sidechaining the sub to the kick every so slightly to make the kick come through.

Personally, I never ever let the kick clash with the sub because it just sounds like a muddied mess. It's perfectly fine for the kick to run un-filtered in the intro since there's nothing to compete for the low end yet, but once the sub comes in I would definitely recommend putting a high pass @ 100 Hz over the kick.

The thing about sidechaining is that it prioritizes the kick over the sub, which gives it a different sound that simply letting the bass run untampered.

Im guna keep posting this until there are no more "How to make this kick?" threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom