DnB Percussion

Dubz1e

I've produced hiphop and electro for a while and have been into my dnb for over 10 years but whenever I try producing dnb I feel the drums never sound right. Particularly hi and mid range percussion. Can anybody offer any advice or link to some decent tutorials?

Here's a link to one of my tunes so you can get an idea of what I mean...

http://www.soundcloud.com/dubzie-2/free-download-dubzie-raw

Critical advice welcome :)

Hmm there are plenty tutorials on you tube and don't have u tried Warbeats Tutorials,has some good stuff..

Percussion can be tricky if you dont understand it. Getting the shuffle and swing of drum and bass relies heavily on ghost snares (Quieter snares) and lots of little one hits like rim shots, shakers, tambourines, woodblocks etc etc. The trick is having hits of varying velocity, of various percussive instruments hitting on offbeats. Also try adding some subtle delay to your hats and stuff to give it a bit more rythym.

The first problem with you beat is you have your kick and snare panned one to the left and one to the right the need to be in the middle the kick especially should be smack bang in the middle and mono. I usually start with a break beat and pull it to pieces then reasemble it with my own percussion. Once I have my basic beat to get more air & complexity I often layer one or more breaks that are high passed massively and also sidechain comprressed to either the kick and/or the snare. there are obviously many ways to program your drums but I recon this is a good starting point.

Back
Top Bottom