Percussion and swing

Jopsun

When you program drums in dnb, do you tend to snap everything to the grid or give some parts a looser feel - like shakers and hats? I'm coming from a house/dubstep background where I'm used to having a bit more room for applying swing to some parts.

good question

for me it depends on the break. if its your standard: kick, snare, kick snare
then i'll keep everything straight. i like the rolling feel.

for other breaks, maybe.
personally i think it gives the drums a looser feel ala Alix Perez when he used to make liquid,
im not a big fan of that really laid back sound, and so 95% of the time I'll keep everything square

i dont really notice swing at DnB tempos though so i dont bother using it

You should check out Octane & DLR, they are great at playing with percussion and space etc

If you check out their sample pack and listen through the dissected sections of the breaks you get a good impression on how they do it

In neurofunk a little swing gives a tad more groove to the beat, I tend to use swing in little amounts, of course depending the beat if looking for more sloppy drumming or tight

For me it doesn't matter if it's the main kicks and snares. Now with the loops and hats, ghosts etc, I think you should keep it within the same frame of however you laid the main kicks and snares so it doesn't get too crazy.

Back
Top Bottom