people uploading official mp3s on dnbshare

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by flobbydobby, Jan 18, 2013.

1. flobbydobby

flobbydobby bangin garden of dobbylon

total idiots. really pisses me off.

thought this had been wiped out but past few days I've seen at least 10 new released tracks on there, obviously 320s judging by file size.

dnbshare is a good service, found tons of great sets on there and it's obviously the place to go for legit freebies etc... wonder if they can find out who's being a dick and upping this stuff, probably it's just one person imo

2. rj_dnb

rj_dnb Well-Known Member

Surely they can track who's uploaded what by IP address?

3. flobbydobby

I think they wait until someone files a copyright claim then just delete the file. but most artists probably don't have time to spend all day searching if someone's upped their tunes

4. fuuz3r

fuuz3r KRISTJAN V

why do you care so much? it's inevitable, because digital stuff is so easy to pirate. it has been done for ages and there has been a lot of discussion about it + you don't want to say that you just discovered it?

what's the purpose of this thread? saying that pirating is bad? what does this change lol? :teeth: yes it's against the law, but what are you gonna do about it?

excuse me for bringing vinyl in to the discussion, but i just have to. back in the day there was no such thing as illegally sharing music - it was impossible because of the format. now labels go for the digital format, because vinyl don't sell..paradoxally they cry that peaople pirate mp3-s and they lose money over it. it's a pretty shitty situation - whatever format you choose, you end up losing money.

..and it's actually labels job to file copyright claims and stuff, because the track belongs to the label, not the artist (like with books) it's called proprietary rights. but these smal llabels can't afford to file claims al day and once you chop one head off, 3 more appear. so it's a lost fight. i tell you...vinyl should be the one and only format :)

5. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

It's probably the only site where almost 100% of the uploads are breaking copyright (be it mixes or whatever). I think because of it's size it flies under the radar. It's never blocked a single one of my mixes..

6. Shatner's Bosom

Shatner's Bosom murder TANMUSHIMUSHI

I report pirated files whenever I see them, what else can you do, it's the worst when you get a pirated file under false pretenses, I've had a 'free giveaway' that turned out to be a leaked track...

7. Norwax

Norwax Well-Known Member

I think he's not complaining about piracy itself, but about the fact that it's being done on a popular drum and bass lover website like dnbshare. I bet sometimes even some producers use that website and I don't think they would like to see their tracks available to download at 320kbs

yes, there are alot of ways to download the tracks, but not with that bitrate. if they're downloaded from youtube they're completely shit, like 128 or something

8. fuuz3r

fuuz3r KRISTJAN V

ah okay. my mistake. and i apologize if i misunderstood!

9. flobbydobby

yeah Norwax is right. I probably didn't make that clear. obviously pirating will go on until the end of time but why would anyone do it so blatantly on a decent sharing site is my point...

mixes are breaking copyright, are you sure about that? thought they were protected under artistic lisence act, not 100% sure about that though. I don't see how upping mixes could be harmful to revenue for a producer...

cool...thought you had to own the copyright to report it. if not then I might do next time I see something.

as to why it annoys me so much, I don't know, it just does. it's not like I personally have tracks released, just the principle of it really...

10. fuuz3r

fuuz3r KRISTJAN V

it doesn't really matter if it's harmful or not. mixes are like any creation of yours - just like any musical composition, paintings, writings etc. for example mixes like andy c's nightlife series - they are mixes like any other, but are not intended as free giveaway. the owner has decided that he doesn't want to give them for free - so if you want to own a nightlife cd and have legal right to listen to it, then you have to pay and then you're allowed to do that....but before andy c can sell it, he has to ask the permission from all the labels whose tracks are featured (because he wants to make money off them) and i bet those labels want their small cut as well. but you know, since he's andy c he can just say fuck off i don't pay you shit and not use a particular track at all and therefore that label doesn't get any fame and andy can't double drop it with moonwalker. which is a loss for both ends.

so, also extracting mixes from old tapes and uploading them (bought ones) is like sharing mp3-s (non free) if you don't have permission to do so.

11. $marty

$marty Dexcell Staff Member

Tracks for compilations will be licensed. The label & artist get a little bit of money from the sales.

12. flobbydobby

Yeah,obviously... if the mix in question is for sale then that's a different matter. I dont think youre getting my point. I'm talking things like podcasts, radio shows, things djs put up on their soundcloud to DL for free and the download limit maxes out etc... Thats why dnbshare is useful. Or is downloading a pre-recorded radio show illegal now?

13. fuuz3r

fuuz3r KRISTJAN V

well if the 'artist' only wants to distribute the file himself. then others don't have that right. for example those free giveaway tracks that you can download by liking some facebook page etc. in this case its legal to only get it from that official link and those who are uploading it to other sites like dnbshare, zippyshare, rapidhsare ... ..., are breaking rights.

14. BPM

BPM Member

I had no idea you could download full mp3s from dnbshare but now i do. cheers flobbydobby

15. flobbydobby

Yep, I understand what you're saing there. But if an artist has decided to give away a track for FREE then they're not losing money if someone re-links it to another host site are they? Most - if not all - of them seem to use dnbshare themselves to do this anyway. Again you may not have quite understood my point

lol, nice trolling attempt but that just makes you sound a bit thick. :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  16. Fallen.GeMiNi

Fallen.GeMiNi 3rd rate banger merchant

This is not quite right in the perspective of promotion. They wanna get fans to their facebook pages so they will more likely buy their music and attend gigs where they are playing out. So they can in fact lose money by this.

As for your point, I agree, but then again there's no way how to stop this. Some people are just cunts.

17. flobbydobby

Ok, fair enough. I've seen a bunch of free tracks where you have to 'like' the Facebook page to access the track. - but for someone like me who doesn't use Facebook it means I can't get the track, so I find it somewhere else then I will download it, as long as I know it was free. If that's technically 'illegal' then ill admit I'm in the wrong...

18. DjCartel

DjCartel Well-Known Member

people used to bootleg and pirate vinyl all the time! illegal copies would pop up everywhere. at the end of the day pirating has and always will happen. everyones guilty of it at some point, whether it be musoc software or films. i just hope they find a way to actualy stop it. especially on dnb share as it really taints the websites rep! as for freebies, fallen is right, the artists want you to go to their page to get it

19. fuuz3r

fuuz3r KRISTJAN V

technically it's not the correct way to download it from a different source if the artist insists that people download it strictly from a link he's provided, but i wouldn't go as far to call it illegal. uploading a freebie like this to dnbshare imo is illegal.

yes, you're right. bootlegs totally slipped my mind.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  20. jono.p

jono.p Member

Its quite ironic.. the genre itself spawned largely from ripping off samples without any due credit. Most producers work from endless lists of samples they've "collected" over time. Its part of the reason the genre will never be as successful as others.