DnB Pendulum

randomjunglist

Student of Junglism
So I've been wondering, what is the general opinion of the dnb community on Pendulum (or are they a divisive subject)?

Vault was an absolute revelation in 2003 when it surfaced. That tune basically made them. Rob Swire was an epic producer and Speed was a good DJ. Saw him DJ A LOT of times in the mid 00's.

Tunes like Trail Of Sevens, Masochist, Back 2 You and Kingston Vampires (with Fresh) still sound fresh today. They created some epic tunes back then.

Pendulum was my first dnb act ever. Obviously I started with Hold Your Colour (the album) and then things started getting strange with the next two albums. Unless the collab with In Flames. That tune was glorious!

Yeah Hold your Colour got me full hooked on dnb, still smash pendulum tunes out today. first proper rave I went to they were headlining on the Valve soundsystem - sick night!

I'm always interested in hearing anything new they produce however, for the last 10 years or so, I have been left massively disappointed.

Are they still making music anyway? Last release on Beatport is from January 2014.
Not that I would miss them, just askin ;)

They were under knife Party but not really followed them. I believe that Rob Swire has hinted at the possibility of new Pendulum material though.

They're legends to me and their music steered me in the direction of many of the artists that members of this forum are fond of. Probably will listen to all their albums when I'm an old man

Vault was an absolute revelation in 2003 when it surfaced. That tune basically made them. Rob Swire was an epic producer and Speed was a good DJ. Saw him DJ A LOT of times in the mid 00's.

Tunes like Trail Of Sevens, Masochist, Back 2 You and Kingston Vampires (with Fresh) still sound fresh today. They created some epic tunes back then.

I second this. Rob Swire was great dnb producer.

never liked a single thing I heard by pendulum. too synthy and 'anthemic', bordering on cheese. not heard all their stuff though

I believe that Rob Swire has hinted at the possibility of new Pendulum material though.
Fi ya info, Rob Swire did say he's going to do another Pendulum album, but it's not something he really wants to do. He left drum and bass in the first place because he just kinda disillusioned with it (and band touring restrictions didn't help either) [reference: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2pi4ek/we_are_knife_party_aka_rob_swire_and_gareth/cmwvj2l].

Tunes like Trail Of Sevens, Masochist, Back 2 You and Kingston Vampires (with Fresh) still sound fresh today.
Man, I can see why they really hit it off well in the dnb scene. They must've been quite the slammers back then! (heck, they are today)

Also, thank you much for the opinions. I've been a huge Rob Swire fan (Pendulum and KP) for a while now–––I think he is one of the greatest producers and writers in music–––but I was curious to see how tasteless I was in that. I mean, I know it's well-produced material, but if someone is was poorly regarded in the dnb scene, I think there would be a good reason for it.

Big fan of everything except in silico. Thought Immersion done them quite a bit of justice again & 'Ransom' was cool. Saw them at a packed metro city in Perth few years back and it was easily one of the most electric shows i've ever been too. Think they may have played the island for the first time at that show.

And as far as Pendulum goes now with the dj set El Hornet is a don

this ^

+ another planet

I remember when they first dropped Another Planet fresh out of the studio.. The crowd went fucking batshit and they played it again further down the set to the same reaction. The flip is pretty ace as well.. Voyager. Fuck.. Every tune they did pre HYC is a classic. Still Grey, Toxic Shock. Their remix skills are on point, Voodoo People done with a 24hr time frame and Rob the Z3ta guru dialled up all the riffs from scratch.

Paul mentioned the other day the trio have been out playing dnb sets and have gotten their inspiration and passion back for it. Just quietly.. New LP in about 8 months.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom