Pendulum - The Island (Kemotherapy Remix) Work In Progress

Kemotherapy

hey guys, had a friend show me this site.

this is the first part of the remix im working on of Pendulums "The Island" remix comp
its actually the first Drum&Bass tune ive ever worked on.
i still have a lot to do to it but i wanted to show you guys what i have so far

I live in the states (Las Vegas), been spinning for 3 years and now i really want get into production.

any tips,advice, etc that you guys could give me would be great

Cheers!
-Kemo

im impressed this is your 1st dnb tune...

nice synths used but a lil loud wen it drops, n theres not much sub bass...theres more bass in the build up
try to make your kicks n snares a lil more punchy, use some EQ..

but thers some good variations here and a good bass, the tips i mentioned are all IMO and my tracks arent perfect either, but it's just how im hearing it.

peace

haha its actually my first track ive ever made but i come from a really musical family so i guess it helped me out a little

so should i lower down the synth just a little bit and put up the sub bass(Im just using a lowpass filtered square/sine wave.)
someone else said something about side chaining, my brother(who prduces trance) side chains his kicks into the bass(or the other way around im not sure)
so should i be doing the same into my sub bass or synth?

im thinking of changing the break al together cuz its a really simple Amen.
i really wanna accent on the snares like sigma does in Baltimore(yeah i know track isnt a liquid track but for the sake of the sound i want)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJA5etPMKOg

what i hear a lot of producers do is kinda filter out the build up break right before the drop. kinda gotta figure out how to do that

and someone said something about "layering" my kicks and snares so should i just go through and find a few that fit well together instead of just having 1 of each( i.e. 1 snare 1kick etc.....)

thanks for the tips tho :)

oh and im using FL studio 9 if thatll help anyone help me.

wow u must be very musical! lol

you could use side-chaining - which in a nutshell is where bass is routed to the kick channel and compressed so that the bass vol goes down when the kick is played.
this is big in trance and electro and used a lil in dnb, but its not the only way to have ur sub.

n yeh kicks n snares r an important factor, i heard ur track again n heard the snare at the end of the track become muffled which im guessing is an EQ problem.
a punchy snare like in the track u showed me depends on the samples used but its normally made up of layered samples all compressed as one (all the snares sent to their own channel..)

its really down to personal preference but personally I like to have the kick n snare be quite prominent in the mix, but even then I'm no master at it...still on the learning curve lol.

take a look at some tips on this site:

http://www.drumnbass.be/forum/thread.php?threadid=20585

hope this helps...

thanks man.

ill definitely take your advice.

i have a few gigs coming up so it will take me a little while to finish this track.

thank you

-Kemo

Back
Top Bottom