Pendulum Live.....on the heels of Prodigy?

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by TooEZ, Dec 11, 2005.

1. TooEZ

TooEZ Gibber Jabber

I've noticed that Prodigy are on tour recently around the country, and that they have asked Pendulum to be their support. That's quite an honour! It begs the question:

Prodigy were, without doubt, the best dance/rave music act of the 90's.....their peak has ended; will Pendulum (Live) be the next big phenomenomenon and the act of this decade? I'd hit it......

Your thoughts?......

2. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

Great post gibs (y)

I hope The Prodigy continue for another album (at least one!) and tour before they're done, I never want them to end! They're too awesome and they've been a big part of so many people in our generation.

But I guess all great things have to come to an end. We all know Pendulum have come along and rocked the DnB scene right down to it's roots, and I'd love nothing more to see these guys do something similar on a totally live scale.

I'm getting excited already! :slayer:

3. Oli

Oli Member

Pendulum LIve is gonna be good, but the new prodigy they are not! Prodigy did amazing things for the rave scene, even down to getting their music on MTV etc Spreading the word for what it really is! Not getting some fat bastard to do the truffle shuffle in the middle of Soho!

I hadnt heard that pendulum were to support them, but i see this as just another way fresh and adam f are selling out the dnb community. Fuck it, put another chav on the barbie!

4. sneezing7

sneezing7 .:wOOp:.

This is one thing I have never understood in its entirity:

A dnb act get big, and they are seen as being sell outs. Yet, they remain underground, and they can't afford to eat. So basically what is the median that would please everyone? Do you look after the fans, or after yourself (being the producer/dj/mc/whatever)?

Back in 2002 (I think), DnB had a upswing. Ayia Napa was full of this vibe with Grooverider and the like playing here non stop. After that DnB chilled down a bit, with the odd uprising from songs like "Shake your body" , "Barcelona", etc.... Basically you would struggle to find DnB in Ayia Napa, let alone the rest of Cyprus.

So going by this theory with Tarantual being a "hit", will this make people see Pendulum as sell outs, when (and if) they start playing to the masses, or will they strive to become a evolving sound like Prodigy?

hope that made sense?

5. D BREAKNECK

D BREAKNECK 7 years on top

Completely agree with Sneezing7.

Only thing Pendulum are selling out is the events they play at.

They made a great and very accessible album that has got a lot of new people interested in DnB, and reminded others how much they love it.

And they fully deserve to support Prodigy. Who would begrudge them that?

As for new Prodigy? I'd love to see Pendulum develop a live show.

but I think Prodigy were totally of their time, and refined the rave sound while keeping the raw energy. Not saying they ain't relevant, cos they are, and their tracks are keeping dancefloors heaving all over, but for me Jilted Gen. was their creative peak.

The music / rave / club scene / whole world has changed so much since they broke, and no-one can change that...

6. Mr G

Mr G Old Cunt From 19 Longtime

Prodigy will never fall off,the 1st time i see them was in 94 and they were the bollocks,then i see them in 95 or 96,cant really remember,anyway they were shit hot again.Then i see them at the V festival and yes,they were excellent once more.
    Then i went to brixton on my birthday(4th of december)and guess what,do i need to say it,yes they were once again SUPERB!!!!!!!!!
    I just cant see how people can say that they aint all that,you just have to see them live.If you have then you'll know what i'm chatting about.Did'nt get to see pendulum,i think it was they're night off as audio bullys were supporting........they were good,had me bopping!
    Rant over

7. Brother Joe

Brother Joe ERANU!

firstly, whether it be pendulum or any other dnb artist/group, to support prodigy would not be turned down by you or your manager. Secondly I don't think fresh and adam are selling out the dnb community, only widening the audience, which in turn makes the dnb community stronger.

Sell out's they are not!

8. TooEZ

TooEZ Gibber Jabber

Some interesting thoughts guys, very interesting. I think they will definitely evolve their sound (it's come from nu metal hasn't it.....?), and I really don't think they'll be a 'sell-out' as someone so eloquently put. Dan's right, the only thing they're selling-out is events, and the people intent on strangling the scene of its life by calling them sell-outs can listen to their Brockie tapes at home; that way everyone is happy.

9. Oli

Oli Member

everyone is welcome to their opinion, i dont just think pendulum and BBK are doing any good for the scene. Yes there getting more and more people involved. Most of them crack headz who turn a rave into a crime scene. Yes prodigy is an awesome honour to open for im just saying people seem to think that Pendulum are gonna be the next Prodigy, they arent and wont be! Their material is not that groundbreaking anymore! If they did an album full of tracks showing off some real diversity then maybe they wouldnt have so many haters. Instead they did an industry headz pleasing album that will rake in a huge amount for BBK NOT pendulum, thats why they are still hungry!

I know record labels are set up to make money and get the music out there but surely fresh should be forcussing on something other than getting Tarantula played for 10 seconds on an episode of CSI!!

Nothing good will come of BBK, jsut late releases of shit that has been rinsed already.

Damn.... must be nearly time for therapy again

Pendulum are complete sell outs, they chose the deal that got em the most money and advertising. No other label would have made them a house hold name! Thank God

Last edited: Dec 18, 2005
  10. mesh

mesh Active Member

fucking bollocks Oli

No one said they will be the next Prodigy, but its quite legit to compare their popularity and IF Pendulum have a good live show they may be as influential.

to say someone is a sell out because they choose a label that will market them to the widest possible audience is just backward, insular thinking of the worst type.
    Why is it so wonderful that Prodigy broke onto MTV, but Pendulum coudnt dream of the same success?

If youre going to raves with criminals and crackheads its your problem not Pendulums. to blame them for it is beyond ludicrous.

11. pendulum

pendulum Member

1-800-waaahmbulance

12. Brother Joe

Brother Joe ERANU!

Of course they chose the label with the best deal. As we all know there's fuck all money in DNB compared to some other genres so why not choose the best deal. I would have.

Personally I don't think BBK made them a household name at all, tunes like Back 2 you, Mindseye, Still Grey, Trail of Sevens, their remix of tonite and of course Vault made them a household name, none of which were released on BBK!

The whole they'd have less haters if they did it this way is getting way too old now aswell, everyone has their fare share of haters and you know it. To add to that In my opinon the album is plenty diverse, they've got a couple of hard-hitting dancefloor tracks, plenty of liquid and 2 breaks tracks, how much more diverse do you want it to be? maybe they could have put some techstep/intelligent chin stroking dnb in to make you happy!?!?!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2005
  13. mISHKA

mISHKA Member

This happens all the time in Punk Rock,

Ends up with the bands getting sucked off by hoodie-wearing teeny boppers, while getting no respect from those who helped make them what they are.

First sign is arrogance ;)

edit: and BTW when Prodigy were in their early days, they didnt need to make crossover R&B remixes of their tunes to gain popularity- their production spoke for itself :)

14. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Pendulum are both one of the reasons and one of the results of the recent dnb revival.

Great tracks, great album, great gigs and working their ass off...

They might not be as influential as Prodigy but Liam Howlett was lucky (and had the talent and ethic to use that chance) to be there when dance music exploded - he got to be a pioneer and become a legend.

And the last Prodigy album is a piece of **** IMO, especially compared to Hold Your Colours or Raw As Fuck.

15. Indi

Indi Tha Original ThreadKilla!

The main thing is that dispite the diversifiying, they are remaining true to the craft, which is making music for people to dance to.
    Of course Pendulum chose BBK because they got the best deal with them, but are you saying that you wouldn't in the same situation? When choosing a label, the money is just the icing on the cake, there are many other things to take into account. Like reputation, Adam F and Fresh have good reputations through the music industry, not just dnb, and have an extensive knowledge of resources and contacts available to them, as well as access to the best studios, engineers and equipment, so being associated with them is nothing but beneficial. Expanding your product and taking it to another level costs money and resources, so Pendulum chose the right label to represent them for what they want to accomplish, and I wish them all the success in the world.
    Saying that Pendulum and BBK are doing nothing good for the scene is bullshit, they are shifting many copies of tunes, are expanding their product to elevate it to a higher platform in order to attract a bigger audience. which is a good thing for dnb.
    Sellout is a term that an elitist uses when something in "their" scene doesn't sit right with them, and unfortunately dnb is filled with elitists, not just within the genre but even within the sub-genres. This is awful because it is elitists that strangle the scene and prevent it from growing and evolving, inside and out. You need to think outside of the box if you want to do something that makes an impact, good or bad, and this is what Pendulum are doing.
    IMHO Pendulum are doing no such thing as selling out, rather they are taking the art to a higher platform by expanding their own product to appeal to a larger audience, something that many other dnb artists/producers have probably thought about but didn't have the bollox to do, in fear of people pointing fingers at them and calling them sellouts.

My two cents.

EDIT: I don't think Pendulum are trying to be the next Prodigy. The only association that Pendulum have with the Prodigy is that they are supporting them on a tour. which is the only association they should have.

16. TooEZ

TooEZ Gibber Jabber

Dude, you misunderstand me. No way am I saying that they are trying to be the next Prodigy, or that they are (sorry guys) because Prodigy are without doubt in a field of their own. I was saying that, as a live act and with an evolving sound, they could be this decade's answer as no one else on the music scene seems to be making this kind of progress.

17. mesh

mesh Active Member

erm no, they just did remixes of Jesus Jones tunes (zeroes and ones -1993)

no pop crossover there at all :|
    lets remember our history correctly

18. Indi

Matee, my response was to the people that was saying that they were the next Prodigy, I knew what you meant from the start. My apologies for not indicating the direction of my comments (y)

19. TooEZ

TooEZ Gibber Jabber

Tis all good dude. My mistake.

BTW: Do u mind being PMd about the teaching ur doing in China (i read the link u put in Waffle about ur colleague's experiences in Japan). Sorry for the off-topicness.

20. Indi

Not at all, feel free :)