PC or MAC

Dubsta

VIP Junglist
Need to upgrade my pc.....Do i get a MAC or PC again?

Only use will be for streaming radio, Production and Graphic design

Stupid question. Apple fan boys will say Mac. Apple haters will say PC.

It's basicly up to you mate. If you're comfortable using a PC then I would stick with a high end laptop. For the amount you would spend on a Mac you can get a brilliant Laptop which will run just as well.

Yeah? i was wondering would it be worth getting lappy instead.....Im just concerned if itll cope as well as PC or MAC work load wise.

I'm on a mac, but would most definitely suggest getting a PC for music personally. there are quite a few things I personally used to have on PC plugins wise that I genuinely miss now and hence why I'm building another PC after the summer.

So I'd suggest, just definitely check what your needs are depending on what kind of software you use.

Yeah? i was wondering would it be worth getting lappy instead.....Im just concerned if itll cope as well as PC or MAC work load wise.

If you spend as much as you would spend on a Mac it will do everything just as well.

People buy £300/£400 laptops and compain they're shit compared to Macs. You can't get a Mac for that price. Spend £600+ on a Laptop and you will be very happy with it.

once you go mac, you never go back! macs are definitely preferable for graphic design.

and im pretty sure they dont get viruses either (correct me if im wrong)

- - - Updated - - -

i dont know anything about music production requirements mind you (y)

Keep in mind that while on the surface it may seem that Macs are "more expensive," look at what's under the hood. Each Mac boasts, at a minimum, an i5 intel chipset with duo/quad core depending upon what model you get (currently they're using Ivy Bridge with Haswell coming right around the corner). Throw in the metal unibody structure, built-in high-res camera, the multifunctional Thunderbolt port and glass monitor and it's easy to see why the cost adds up. If you go apples to apples (no pun intended, I swear!) with a PC that has identical specs, you'll find the cost differential between the two is not as great as it may seem.

Mac systems also make use of CoreAudio, meaning that a single unit is responsible for everything audio related right down to MIDI (i.e. CoreMIDI). Developers don't have to worry about catering to an abundance of differing components and sound modules often found with PC's that contain a variety of generic sound cards with differing components from one model to the next, which in turn enables increased stability for software/hardware.

Don't get me wrong, PC's are great and Macs are not without their own problems. I own both systems and personally use Mac's more...however, that's just me and my experience of having been a total tech nerd for 15 plus years. If Linux became a player as large as Windows, I would probably become PC heavy again...but I digress.

It boils down to what you are aiming to do with your system, your budget and how long you intend on using the computer. Don't let anyone's opinion sway you, do the grunt work of research, crunch the numbers, and drop the cash. The most important thing is that you get a computer with an adequate chipset and multiple cores (i.e. greater than duocore).

Cheers.

owned an iMac 27" for the best part of a year, was nothing but trouble. sold it, built a stupidly fast PC for the same money, great success

I paid about a grand for my mac book and so far am not impressed with it. Its pricey for anything u want to add and doesn't come with very standard things these days.

Also Macs are most price competitive when they are just released, so if you do want to go for a Macbook you may want to wait until June when hopefully the new Haswell macbook pros are announced. I'm a Mac fan, so my opinion's biased ;)
Also keep in mind some plugins and DAWs are only available on PC or Mac so if you have existing stuff that's locked to a platform that might sway your choice.

After using Windows PC's for years and having nothing but trouble with them I brought my first MAC last year
I seriously can't fault it one bit, If I can help it I'm never gonna touch a Windows computer again.

Have a look at hackintosh PC's
They are basically PC's that have been built to run like a MAC but are a lot cheaper than actual MAC's

Build your own PC. Only get a laptop if you really have to.

For the money a mac costs, you can build the ultimate Windows desktop PC that can do anything a mac can and more. I mean a ridiculous 8 core CPU, 16GB RAM, SSD drive, powerful graphics card and would still cost less than a mac.

Making music is no easier/better on a mac, you will still be using the same software.

Last edited:
I agree with DJWhizzkidd. ESPECIALLY the last sentence.

I built a pc last year that ran me just under $700. I use it for both music and visual effects (maya, after effects, photoshop, illustrator, so far). I run an i5 chip and Quadro Nvidia graphics card with 8g's of memory and while it isn't as fast as what most people would like (me included), it can still churn out some shit. If you have more money to spend you could build something great. If not, you can upgrade it when you get more money, like I plan to.

Here is some of what I've done with it so far.

http://vimeo.com/59550898

http://vimeo.com/63944400

Hope it helps.

P.S.

I still don't understand why I need to press 2 buttons to delete something on a mac as opposed to just hitting delete (I have a mac laptop a friend gave me and it just annoys the crap outta me).

Last edited:
Build your own PC. Only get a laptop if you really have to.

For the money a mac costs, you can build the ultimate Windows desktop PC that can do anything a mac can and more. I mean a ridiculous 8 core CPU, 16GB RAM, SSD drive, powerful graphics card and would still cost less than a mac.

Making music is no easier/better on a mac, you will still be using the same software.

This.

for £1000 I built:

Intel Core i7 3770K (4 cores, 8 threads)
8gb DDR3
Geforce GTX680 (so I can game!)
240GB SSD, 2TB HDD, 500GB Backup
watercooled so it is silent
24" Dell IPS 16:10 monitor (the best monitor you can get pretty much)
mouse and keyboard.

Running studio one, it boots in less than 10 seconds on windows 7

+1 for a custom PC build. I made one last month:

Core i5
8gb RAM
240GB SSD + 1TB HDD
WIFI card
24" monitor
keyboard, mouse, case, DVD drive, etc

all in for £600

as with the previous post, I can be in my DAW making music in about 20 seconds flat

If youre nervous about building your own, you need not worry. Its gotten so bloody easy since days of old pretty much everything is plug and play. I built it in an hour or so.

All I'll say is if you keep your mac clean and don't clogg it up with shit it'll run forever. imo every operating system since XP has been buggy as fuck and I'd NEVER buy a PC ever again. Macs are so much more reliable, there's no question - plus the customer service is outstanding.

Mac anyday.

All I'll say is if you keep your mac clean and don't clogg it up with shit it'll run forever. imo every operating system since XP has been buggy as fuck and I'd NEVER buy a PC ever again. Macs are so much more reliable, there's no question - plus the customer service is outstanding.

Mac anyday.

If you keep your Windows PC clean it will last forever. My system never crashes.

Back
Top Bottom