@ PC boffs (Drive partitioning)

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by ac, Apr 12, 2009.

1. ac

ac I've been naughty, I'm banned

I need to partition my drive but I'm a complete n00b at stuff like that. Basically, I have Windows 7 beta which apparently runs out between June and August. Now when it runs out, I have to buy it but until then the OS gets locked so you can't do much with it.

So I want to partition my drive but without losing my data (Reason tunes and refills/sets/mp3's etc)

Anyone recommend me a good (free) program and a tutorial please?

Many Thanks :)

2. Thin and crispy

Thin and crispy Active Member

ill think about telling you if you agree im not a boff :(

3. ac

Awww I'm sowwy. You're not a boff.

4. Thin and crispy

Thin and crispy Active Member

thanks, i just realised you said windows 7 and i only know XP, not quite sure if its the same so i wont say anythin for now.

edit: try looking up on using disk management in your administrative tools.

5. ac

Yeah I did that but there's no option of Unallocated space :(

6. Naib

Naib Member

1st things 1st do you really want/need to partition your drive?
    If you can I would strongly recommend you get a 2nd Harddrive instead simply because partitioning boxes you into a fix drive size - they are dirt cheap anyway

My Home desktop has two HDD, one for the OS and one for /home (user documents, plus a small 80gig windows partition for gaming)

My Home server has all its drives in a RAID array so partitions are needed there, but even still a small 80gig (which is 5% full) is used for the OS and the remaining (just shy of a Tb) is for /home again for userdata

IF you really still want to go the route of partitioning I would strongly recommend gParted:
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/ ->
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

it is a small linux liveCD produce purely for resizing harddrive. Just burn to a CD and boot the CD

it is really easy to use
    [​IMG]
    Shows the GUI

[​IMG]
    shows the resizing screen

I have re-sized many a linux and windows machines using this program
    So if you must go this route

BUT
    1) defrag your drive 1st
    2) backup as much as you can 1st
    resizing/repartitioning is ALWAYS risky and you only need a powercut to FUBAR all your data

7. ac

Thanks Naib, I was a little slow responding to say I'd sorted it. But thanks for your advice all the same.

8. Naib

Naib Member

meh ;)
    all the same gParted if anyone else is interested. There use to be a program called "PartitionMagic" but after Symantec bought it they essentially ran it into the ground and now there are more and more chances it will lose data especially since the NTFS that is used in Vista & win7 isn't the same as used in Win2k

I know very big Microsoft/Windows fans (people that hate anything linux) who swear by gParted and call it a "nessisary evil" for them

I still would recommend a 2nd HDD tho over any form of re-partitioning as well as regular backups.
    As the saying goes there are two types of people. Those that do backups and those that have never had a HDD fail

If you have data that is too important to lose (be it due to re-partioning, robbery, HDD failure [and believe me they do fail]) you REALLY need to be running some form of backup system (burn to DVD, external USB HDD ...)