Past week issues :/

Discussion in 'Production' started by EvolutionNine, Nov 28, 2012.

1. EvolutionNine

EvolutionNine EvolutionNine

Hello everyone. The last week I have had a lot going on. Still I manage to find myself in my DAW. I have a Violin synth string with some effects. And a bass lead behind it. I am having some issues EQing the darn thing. I have sat here for hours and still no luck. I do like the effects of my 1 band sweep when I do it with the mouse but what about the whole song?

Here is a pic and sample

[​IMG]'

Thanks every one.

2. W3st

W3st Unsigned DnB Producer

well thanks for the pic cause im in class bored out of my MIND and I wanted to give out some pointers.

First off turn that eq gain down... we can achieve clarity of instruments in the mix through proper eqing and *taking away* as opposed to adding more.

Looking at the violin eq, I can see that it is peaking without a spectrum analyser around 200 and 600hz, which is where your massive synth is also peaking at, especially tho at the major midd section (600-1000 range for this synth)

I would work this by creating a dip in either of the eqs in the respective peaking range of the other synth. (ie cutting out those frequencies on the violin synth where the massive synth is peaking so 600-1000hz to allow breathing room)

Another way could be sidechaining: apply a Fruity limiter on the last FX slot of the violin channel and link the massive synth to the violin. Then go to the limiter on the violin and go to the "compressor setting" right click sidechain (2 dashes at this point) and you should see the massive synth. then compress to taste to apply a sidechain.

this can be done in various ways (ie peak controller linked to those frequencies on the eq but this takes too long to explain and im sure u can find it in the fl help book)

anyways i have more but my hands hurt. start with this! cheers, david

3. EvolutionNine

Hey David I am glad that I saved your boredem :) Don't know if that is a word or not but w.e. Hey when you see that both are peaking in the same lower FReq range are you looking at the bight lines in the fq range.. Is that peaking?? Also I didn't know that you could side chain a lead over another lead. I have a limiter on the massive for the SC of the Kick/Bass

I will try that after some coffee.. Also what are you majoring in?

Cheers

4. EvolutionNine

Also David What lead should be at the higher db? If that is even the right process.

5. W3st

Ok well i'll give you more pointers now but ill give you more detailed advice when i get home to actually listen to it.

Let me clarify that there is db approach for this per-say, its more so a problem of fitting and molding sounds together and getting the right positioning of sounds in your mix so there is no clashing and "mudding" (when frequencies fight for space) going on

A good analogy: The freq spectrum of an eq (20hz to 30000 hz) is like a box. The goal of a good mixdown is to try and fit all your parts (synths percussion etc) into the box so that everything fits nicely. You obviously cannot put two or 3 things in the same spot of the box because they wont fit. (poetic i know)

look up sidechaining with the fruity peak controller on specific frequencies. some tips for you here is: 1. sidechain the peaking frequencies (yes the bright sections of the eq) against the same frequencies on the other sound so they dont clash. I dont want to tell you EXACTLY how its done because its honestly better if you get the concept yourself and its just a hassle for me to type it clearly sorry!

Mind you there are hundreds of free vsts out there that can help you. look up blue cats frequency analyser (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...SggdgC&usg=AFQjCNF5p7fI4430qzZMvRu598x2biXLMQ). that will paint a great picture for you on the "peaking" areas of your sounds and such. Use this data to go forward with your sidechaining process.

Just noticed this, looking at the pic, your master vol is in red and going over the 0 db mark. A db rule here is that you will be distorting and getting harsh sounds from stereos if turned up because youre not allowing for any headroom. turn down your master channel or your synths to avoid this. Limiters come in handy here as well on the master channel. Just be careful

I'm majoring in economics. fuck me right? hopefully hitting music school soon.

also check out my latest remix and leave me feedback if you can! http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php/...he-quot-next-level-quot?p=1289939#post1289939

Cheers bud

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  6. EvolutionNine

Hey David.. I am playing with your ideas. When you say the peak controller for side chaining, is it better than the limiter.?

7. Elzerk

Elzerk 00111100 00110011

They are pretty much the same shit, limiter has a compressor in it that's the only difference I can think of.. And yeah the ceiling/limiting/noise gate

8. W3st

I only prefer the peak controller cause honestly i've never done specific frequency side-chaining with a limiter, dunno much about that. yeah what elzerk said

9. EvolutionNine

You guys are great I took all your ideas tonight and this morning and came up with this. I took that box Idea and worked the best I could with it west. Also Elzerk I like your description of them both :)

I had Blues also west a while back Liked it should get it again. Say that you want to sub- Some freq's from a track Do you completely remove them or a little?(I should just sush and play with it)

Anyhoo

L8ters

Thanks

10. W3st

well damn, sounds much better! liking the kick, sounds nice with the rest. nice ambience and good warmth.

right at the drop, make the kick bigger, or maybe just make a fatter kick using something like the sausage fatterner and hipass it until the drop. this will create a bigger difference in sound and ultimately bring out the drop more. you need more variance as i got bored of the song later on, but it defintely has potential and could be pretty good.

keep at it bud!

11. EvolutionNine

Thank you man. Practice Practice Practice :) I need to stop using the intro for the verse and chorus. I think I have them two in order. :). What school are you attending west?