Paris?

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by D BREAKNECK, Nov 10, 2005.

1. D BREAKNECK

D BREAKNECK 7 years on top

WTF is all that about?

Crazy stuff on the news, but doesn't seem to get all that much coverage?

What are people thinking, cos it's major...

:-/

2. Indi

Indi Tha Original ThreadKilla!

I just think that the French love to riot.
    The sewers smell funny. Let's riot!
    Marks & Sparks is closing. Let's riot!
    And now these two black teenagers get electrocuted climbing over a security fence surrounding an electric generator whilst running away from the cozzers, so everyone riots because they believe ethnic communities are discriminated against. Under the rule of Le Pen, sure I'd believe that, but not the current French PM.
    This riot is just a load of bollox, I feel sorry for the innocents that were in the wrong place at the wrong time and got their car torched, or clubbed by the riot squaddies. :oscar:

3. mesh

mesh Active Member

Paris has for years had huge problems getting immigrants integrated somehow, more than most. Whether its due to poverty or racism, or the bullshit that comes to any ghetto ie drugs and crime, or the general problems of any immigrant which holds people back. Some people are probably just too scared / lazy to try to get on with life, thats what humans are like.
    Anyway, its got little all to do with the actual kids getting chased by police, that was just a trigger. Obviously something pretty deep there though ... but I do reckon every community has full-on troublemakers that will just run amok at the slightest opportunity, and that ends up making it far worse for all.

:confused:

Indi, do you really believe that who the leader of a country is makes a country racist/non-racist, just like that?
    Like, if we kick our prick of a PM out, will we suddenly be a lovely country who welcome refugees and really didnt mean to hurt the Aboriginals? I don't believe that.

4. Indi

No of course not, but the excuse for rioting is initially directed at the government, not society, and the existing french government is sympathetic towards immigrants yet they are made a scapegoat again. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile. Like I said, a load of bollox.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  5. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Like fuck they are sympathetic, especially Mr Sarkozy with his "send the scum home" statements and policy (kids getting deported even though they have residence permits).

Most of the rioters were born in France so they're not 'immigrants' but because of their parents origin still get discriminated against by the government and society. You don't want to be a young Arab in France - it really is shit. Watch "La Haine" (Hate) or some recent Luc Besson sometime to get the feel of how alienated these kids are.

No integration = basic cause of the riots. Plus some bored kids looking to make some trouble.

They're not some pissed football hools grabbing a chance to riot. This has been boiling for years and I'm surprised it took so long.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  6. sidekickmc

sidekickmc MEDICINE?

i think its a combination of the comparitively poor living conditions of large sections of "immigrant communities", and the french tradition of protest (which could suggest that the non-white ethnic groups are conforming to french politcal history??).

its easy to judge the actions of others, when having little similar personal experience -i believe that if i was part of a "group" that was treated as second class citizens that had little political clout, then resorting to extreme measures becomes more feasible, particularly if i had little to lose.

7. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Yeah, the French do like a little protest rioting. Funny thing is that the currentgeneration of politicians is the 1968 student protest generation :)

8. sidekickmc

sidekickmc MEDICINE?

im sure they reminisce upon the events of 1968 with fondness and see it as a bit of fun, but when a group who aren't seen as socially acceptable rebel then its a threat to france and the true (white) 'french'

9. mesh

mesh Active Member

:word:

how can a govt be branded as a scapegoat? one thing all govts are brilliant at is avoiding any social responsibilty when it really matters.

edit - I also believe the rioters need to take social responsibility to solve their problems.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  10. Indi

I don't pretend to know a lot about politics, government, or what is going on in France, only what I see on tv and read in the papers (which isn't a lot, because I don't really watch tv and don't read papers unless its football), just the fact that people in France love a good riot, and have a extensive history of rioting.

Plus the fact that this is an interesting subject and there are many intelligent people who speak on this board, sometimes it takes a bad comment to attract a lot of good comments.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  11. mesh

mesh Active Member

absolutely mate, and you dont make bad comments, if thats what you mean. any type of opinion is cool as long as someone has put an ounce of thought into it, and you always clearly do.
    I think we all like playing devils advocate a bit here ...

nothing like a riot to get the blood going!

12. Indi

I just think that there's a lot of intelligent people on here and some good threads get posted, but no-one replies if it isn't about dillinja or skibba or something like that. In has been known for me to throw in a insensitive or naive comment in order to get the ball rolling, if you know what I mean, and I don't mind if it makes me look stupid or whatever, because I do a fairly good job of that anyway.

13. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

thread needs more pendulum

14. Indi

:word: :teeth:

15. mesh

mesh Active Member

if i have to explain that shy fx is the best again ...

i have prob been guilty of jumping on people re. certain issues in the past. cos I like heavy debate, but it prob puts people off too.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2005
  16. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Grr, you're all fools! Its obvious to anybody that any thread without a mention of Noisia is a wasted thread and not worth the bandwidth its printed on.

:)

17. Indi

Bandwidth is printed on? :teeth: